Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios10 - Hide/show purchased music

Ever since I updated to ios10 yesterday, my music list has been flooded with undownloaded purchases.

How do I hide these? I can't find the setting anymore. I have checked General>..., iTunes & App Store>..., Music>...

Where is the setting to hide purchases anymore???

Thanks for any help!

User uploaded file

iPhone 6, iOS 10

Posted on Sep 15, 2016 7:12 AM

91 replies

May 13, 2017 12:57 AM in response to ks-ny

A toggle to hide cloud music would definitely be useful. Here's a workaround for my specific use case (touch-only usage, managing music in iTunes, having both ITMS purchases and non-ITMS audio files imported in iTunes and syncing my whole PC/Mac iTunes library with the iPhone):

1. Go to Settings - Apple ID (first item on top), select "iTunes & App Store" and make sure automatic downloads for music are turned off (this makes sure "purchased music" isn't silently downloaded to your iPhone)
  2. Sync your iPhone with iTunes, copy any purchases from the iPhone to iTunes
  3. Clean out (delete download) any purchased downloads you have inside iTunes on your PC/Mac that you don't want to have on your iPhone
  4. On the iPhone, go to Settings - Music - Music Downloads, hit the Edit button in the top right and hit the delete button for the "All songs" items -- this will delete ALL music on your iPhone ("purchased" ITMS music + audio files added to iTunes and synced with your iPhone)
  5. Sync your iPhone with iTunes, this will copy back all your music to your iPhone that you have as files in your iTunes Mac/PC library (downloaded purchases + non-ITMS music files)
  6. Whenever you want to play local music only on your iPhone, in the music app, use the "Downloaded Music" category to browse and play

If you spot a purchased ITMS song on your iPhone in the "Downloaded Music" category that you don't have in your PC/Mac iTunes library, just longpress/force-touch the song and choose "Remove download". The point being that deleting purchases from iTunes on the Desktop apparently doesn't delete them on the iPhone anymore.

Jan 7, 2017 4:07 PM in response to Jerry Dammers

Thanks for this.

The problem is not only related to Music. Since 5 January Videos (I’m in the UK) shows all purchased TV and Films in addition to those I’ve uploaded to my iPhone via iTunes. In Settings > Videos > Show iTunes Purchases, sliding to ‘Only films and TV programmes downloaded to this device will be shownno longer works.

As you say, the only way around this is to sign out of iTunes, which is a PITA.

Assume Apple will correct this in next update. Grrrrr.

Mar 15, 2017 8:03 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Sir, Winston Churchill. Your denial of this issue is "nonsense."

I too have this issue and it clutters my playlist.

In fact, I have been listening to my Playlist and on occasion for reasons completely unknown to me will play some of the purchased music even though I DO NOT have it on my playlist. Therefore, I can only conclude, the music is still available for play when I clearly do not wish it to be available at that time.

For reference: I have many many songs that I have bought in hard format (CD's) and many many songs I have bought from iTunes. I am one of those listeners who likes to track how many times I have listened to a song. When my play count suddenly has a track at 1 listen I get curious, especially when it is a favorite of mine that I know I have listened too many time previously.

So, not only does it clutter, it messes with my tracking.

Thank you. Now I will continue reading these posts to try and resolve and completely ignore your "nonsense."

Mar 24, 2017 9:10 AM in response to ks-ny

I am having the same problem. having to click through to the 'downloaded music' category in the music app on the phone is an awkward way to do it. The toggle to show only downloaded music in iOS 9 was so much better. It frustrates me as I feel like it is Apple's attempt to control the way we listen to music and drive us to use their cloud based solutions. There is a reason that music is NOT on my iphone! I don't want to listen to it!

May 2, 2017 4:17 PM in response to ks-ny

All workarounds from using music in the cloud has been disabled or removed. The music now in my iphone library is cluttered with music I don't want to see or hear. Signing out of iTunes used to work. The toggle switch to show only music on the phone is now gone too. Not so subtle hints to use music in the cloud have now turned into forcefulness.

Sep 19, 2017 4:44 AM in response to ks-ny

I get it change is inevitable, but I share a account with my 7 yo. Even with explicit music turned off there is music I don't want him to have acces to, but now I don't have the option to hide the music other than a drop down menu that he can easily change, That's some BS. now if I truly want to hide the music i have bought, I have to delete it from my account permanently, time to stop buy Apple.

Nov 11, 2017 6:21 PM in response to mrkite123

This is the solution everyone! I've been looking for the same thing. So from the main music screen where it says Library, click "Edit" in the top right corner. Then scroll down and make sure that you have "Downloaded Music" selected, and then hit "Done". Now back on the main Library screen, tap on "Downloaded Music" and from this point you will only see the stuff you've actually downloaded on to the phone. You can select playlists or whatever, but they won't sho any cloud songs mixed in with your other downloaded music.

Sep 15, 2016 2:34 PM in response to ks-ny

Using the Downloaded Music category is a work around.

iOS9 you used to have the option to "Show Downloaded Music" which hid any cloud based purchased (i.e. songs not downloaded to your phone) from your device.

I've been trying to convey this to Apple Support, but essentially the equivalent of iOS9s "Show Downloaded Music" only option doesn't exist - and they won't even acknowledge that.

For me (and many others as seen on social media) the Downloaded Music category is not a sufficient option.

Sep 16, 2016 1:42 AM in response to nullafy

Sorry, but that's complete nonsense.

The Downloaded music category is exactly the same as it was previously when you opted to only show downloaded music. The Library (artist/albums etc) category is just the same as it was previously when you hadn't opted to only show downloaded music.

So now you have both and no need to do the messy switching, it's just 10 times better.

ios10 - Hide/show purchased music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.