Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Get slide-to-unlock back in iOS 10

After I upgraded to iOS 10.0.1 upon notification earlier today. My iPad Air removed the slide-to-unlock option. The only way I can unlock the screen is to press the Home button which I hate.

Many websites indicates that I could get the Slide to Open option back through Setting>Accessibility>Home Button and tap Rest Finger to Open. However, on my iPad, I can't find the Rest Finger to Open to reset this option.

Any suggestions?

iPad Air, iOS 10

Posted on Sep 15, 2016 3:09 PM

15 replies

Mar 15, 2017 9:23 PM in response to Ipsmile

Take a look at this.

1. There are users who doesn’t have touch id

2. How about parents sharing iphone/ipad to kids, do they have time to come back and forth to touch device? Or do we have to scan our kids finger print too? Obviously ridiculous!

3. Then go to settings turn on touch to unlock (turn to read number 1 and 2 above)

3. Then turn on assistive touch in settings if you don’t have touch id sensor. Before Just a swipe and now you have to touch the assistive touch and wait one more second for assistive touch interface to load then touch the home and then finally you get a home screen.

Mar 16, 2017 11:35 AM in response to Mostom

Mostom wrote:

Take a look at this.

1. There are users who doesn’t have touch id

Yes, there are. Which means....?

2. How about parents sharing iphone/ipad to kids, do they have time to come back and forth to touch device? Or do we have to scan our kids finger print too? Obviously ridiculous!

How is it any more ridiculous than when there was slide to unlock? If the device locked the parents would still have to unlock it. All that's changed is the way in which they unlock it. And, yes, scanning the child's fingerprints are one options. Not a very wise one but an option nonetheless.

3. Then go to settings turn on touch to unlock (turn to read number 1 and 2 above)

3. Then turn on assistive touch in settings if you don’t have touch id sensor. Before Just a swipe and now you have to touch the assistive touch and wait one more second for assistive touch interface to load then touch the home and then finally you get a home screen.

Huh?

Oct 17, 2016 5:17 PM in response to Ipsmile

I agree, i have this problem too!

Apple, please do something about this. After upgrading to iOS 10, the need to press Home button to unlock has totally destryoyed my experience of using my iPad Mini. My iPad Mini has no TouchID. I just want to open my cover, key in my password and enter the iPad! Please give us a solution that will improve our experience.

Thanks

Oct 18, 2016 5:42 AM in response to kelklw

Hi. I've found a way to almost restore the old "Swipe to unlock" behavior in iOS 10. The trick is to select an app you often use and add its widget to the Today screen (swipe right from lock screen). Mail, Calendar, Safari, or a weather app may be good choices. Alternatively you can add Siri App Suggestions, which gives you a mini chooser of recent apps. Then, when you see the lock screen, swipe right to see the widgets, and tap on one. That will bring up the passcode keypad, then take you to the app.

Note that you can now freely arrange the widgets by dragging the three-bar icons on the edit screen. You're no longer constrained to Apple widgets on the left, others on the right. But nothing you can do about that doggone clock...

Get slide-to-unlock back in iOS 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.