Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are iOS 10 photo faces not scanning?

I've had iOS 10 for 3 nights now and only 650 of over 4,000 photos have been scanned for the faces feature. Last night few if any scanned.

Is anyone else having this problem? Or know how to fix it?

Thanks

MacBook Air (11-inch Mid 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Sep 16, 2016 8:07 AM

11 replies

Sep 16, 2016 10:11 AM in response to atthecshore

Are you using iCloud Photo Library? If you are using the "Optimize" option with iCloud, the photos need downloading from iCloud before they can be scanned. and that means it needs also to be connected to WiFi while doing the persons scan. My iPhone is scanning very slowly, but it does. I am seeing about 50 new faces every morning in the People album, when I click the "+ Add People" button at the bottom of the people album.

Sep 20, 2016 6:05 AM in response to kjboothman

That did it!

I turned off iCloud Photo Library and clicked OK when it said it would delete all my photos from the phone. It took about 30 seconds for the little wheel to stop, then I immediately turned it back on again.

This morning 4,300 of the photos had been scanned, with about 325 to go. So turning it off and on again was the fix.

Thanks.

Why are iOS 10 photo faces not scanning?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.