You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

iPadOS 18 is now available

Explore new ways to work with Apple Pencil, discover new experiences in apps, and customize iPad even further. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad smart keyboard not changing language after iOS 10 update

After updating to iOS 10, the iPad's smart keyboard (in english) doesn't change language layouts. It is stuck in english. Pressing the globe (change language button) brings up the language menu but after selecting the language the keyboard is still in english.

I have already reset all settings. Erased all the keyboards, adding them again.

Any ideas? Does anyone have the same problem?

iPad Pro, iOS 10

Posted on Sep 16, 2016 8:53 AM

8 replies

Sep 17, 2016 6:33 PM in response to rapretzan

Howdy, rapretzan! Thanks for using Apple Support Community!
Great job of troubleshooting your issue so far! Apparently resetting all settings and erasing/re-adding keyboards for your iPad Pro still isn't allowing you to change languages since upgrading to iOS 10. I'll be glad to help.
How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch -- In order to get your keyboard working correctly, I'll be having you reinstalling the iOS. Please back up your personal information to keep it safe.
Use iTunes on your Mac or PC to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings -- You'll need to use iTunes on a computer to completely erase your iPad so that you can install a fresh copy.
The first time through, select "Set up as new iPad" and skip signing into iTunes & App Store and iCloud. See if you're able to switch languages with your Smart Keyboard again. If you are, continue with the next step.
Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup -- Use this article to guide you through the steps to return your personal information to your iPad Pro.

Have a great weekend!

Sep 19, 2016 12:17 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Tom

Before your answer I had no idea there was a Hardware Keyboard column. I always look at the settings in portrait mode and since the keyboard is always connected it never occurred to me that it existed. The setting is in "Automatic" by default but that setting doesn't change the smart keyboard language in iOS 10 when changing languages.

Problem was solved by mapping specific hardware keyboard layouts to the languages in the Hardware Keyboard column.

Thank you for pointing it out.

Sep 19, 2016 12:44 PM in response to rapretzan

rapretzan wrote:

The setting is in "Automatic" by default but that setting doesn't change the smart keyboard language in iOS 10 when changing languages.

Yes, that Automatic setting is new in iOS 10 and will probably confuse a lot of people. I'm not totally sure why they added it, but it may be somehow related to the new "multilingual typing" feature, where you don't need to switch keyboards to have autocorrect work in two Latin script languages at once.

iPad smart keyboard not changing language after iOS 10 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.