Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Videos SHOT WITH iPhone "Unsupported Video Format"

Why are many of the videos that were shot on my iPhone suddenly unsupported? I haven't edited these in any way. The only change has been my "upgrading" to iCloud Photos.

Anyone know what might be going on here?

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.1

Posted on Sep 16, 2016 8:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2016 7:28 AM

Hi Ashkaan4,

I understand that you've taken many videos on your iPhone 6s and are now getting an Unsupported format error when trying to play them. Since this occurred right after turning on iCloud Photos, you should check the iCloud photo library settings on your iPhone to see if the videos have been optimized. If it is set to optimize then uncheck it for full resolution then check the videos to see if they play. You can also re download the full resolution of the video since they are all now stored in iCloud.
Optimize storage on your device

When iCloud Photo Library is turned on, your device can optimize its storage by keeping smaller versions of your photos on the device. All your full-resolution originals are stored in iCloud Photo Library and can be downloaded at any time.

Go to Settings > iCloud > Photos (or Settings > Photos & Camera), then tap Optimize [device] Storage to turn it on.

When your device needs more storage, it automatically replaces some full-resolution originals with optimized versions. If you want to replace optimized versions with full-size originals, tap Download and Keep Originals to turn it on.

iCloud: Use iCloud Photo Library on your iOS device

This should allow you to view your videos as expected. Thanks for using Apple Support Communities to post your question. Have a nice day.
10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2016 7:28 AM in response to Ashkaan4

Hi Ashkaan4,

I understand that you've taken many videos on your iPhone 6s and are now getting an Unsupported format error when trying to play them. Since this occurred right after turning on iCloud Photos, you should check the iCloud photo library settings on your iPhone to see if the videos have been optimized. If it is set to optimize then uncheck it for full resolution then check the videos to see if they play. You can also re download the full resolution of the video since they are all now stored in iCloud.
Optimize storage on your device

When iCloud Photo Library is turned on, your device can optimize its storage by keeping smaller versions of your photos on the device. All your full-resolution originals are stored in iCloud Photo Library and can be downloaded at any time.

Go to Settings > iCloud > Photos (or Settings > Photos & Camera), then tap Optimize [device] Storage to turn it on.

When your device needs more storage, it automatically replaces some full-resolution originals with optimized versions. If you want to replace optimized versions with full-size originals, tap Download and Keep Originals to turn it on.

iCloud: Use iCloud Photo Library on your iOS device

This should allow you to view your videos as expected. Thanks for using Apple Support Communities to post your question. Have a nice day.

Sep 17, 2016 10:28 AM in response to Ashkaan4

Got it! Thanks for trying those steps. Try turning off iCloud Photo Library and playing the videos. Then, import the videos directly to your computer using the Lightning cable that came with your iPhone. Have a quick look at the link below.

Import photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Once imported to your computer, please try playing the video to verify that the data is not corrupt and playable. If it does play without issue, turn back on iCloud Photo Library and play again.

This should help sort out the problem.

Sep 19, 2016 1:58 PM in response to JayB.

JayB, great advice.

I exported (unmodified original) video out of Photos, but it converted the video from .mov to .m4v. Also, the test file was originally 80MB and the exported version is only 25MB. When I re-import the 25MB version, it plays on all of my devices perfectly.

However, it loses all of the meta-data (camera, date, time, location). Also, I'm concerned that there's a loss of quality as the size is only 25/80ths of the previous size. I tried looking in the Photo's Library files, but the masters folder is organized by the date that I imported, which makes it impossible to find. I was hoping I could pull the 80MB version out and then re-import that.

Any suggestions or ideas?

UPDATE: I took the time to find the original and made a copy. Then, I imported it into Photos and it played on every device. Except, it's stripped of it's location and time zone data. I'm still not in a good position, but it's more data.

Sep 21, 2016 7:30 AM in response to Ashkaan4

Great work Ashkaan4!! I'm glad that your videos are now playable on all of your devices. You can manually fix the location data for your files. Try the steps in this link. Fix or adjust locations in Photos for macOS

You can also edit more information if you use your Mac. ​Photos for Mac: View and add information about photos

These links should assist you with getting that important data back onto your videos.

Take care.

Sep 21, 2016 9:01 AM in response to JayB.

Thanks, JayB.

I'm still in a tough position and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice. Here's what's outstanding:

1) It was extremely time consuming to fix that one video file. How can I do this to all 1000 of my videos?

2) How can I copy the location data accurately? Those pins are accurate to where I was standing. I can't find a way to recreate those in the Photos app.

Bonus*) Anyone know what Apple screwed up to cause this to happen to me?

Dec 9, 2016 9:30 AM in response to openview114

I fixed my issue. It was a painstaking process of searching for all videos in my library file and copying them to a folder. If you export, your videos will be transcoded. That wasn't an option for me.

Next, I re-imported the videos creating duplicates. I then went one-by-one to correct timecode and location data until it was all perfect. I then, deleted the old ones. All of my videos play on all of my devices and they have correct time and locations.

It's disappointing that Apple caused this to happen and then did not attempt to fix this or make a tool to solve this for us.

Dec 24, 2016 6:52 AM in response to Ashkaan4

I'm sorely disappointed. I want to share a video with family during xmas and I have to retreat to a room to export, Reimport etc etc.

Meanwhile all my Android owning cousins share theirs with no issues.

Feel like an it way much. For years I've advocated the superiority of apples software in the face of criticism.

I'm annoyed that I can't share this video. Why do I even subscribe to your online services when they don't function?

Bull ****

Videos SHOT WITH iPhone "Unsupported Video Format"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.