Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

change how file size is figured in system 10.11 ?

I have a macbook with system 10.11 that figures the file sizes as 1000 bytes = 1 kb, 1000 kb = 1 mb, 1000 mb = 1 gb

The other macbook I have with system 10.5 figures the file sizes as 1024 bytes = 1 kb, 1024 kb = 1 mb, 1024 mb = 1 gb

I'd like to change the macbook on system 10.11 to figure the file sizes the same way as the macbook on system 10.5

meaning 1024 bytes = 1 kb, 1024 kb = 1 mb, 1024 mb = 1 gb

The way it is now, I get a higher number than it should when the file size is shown in kb, mb, or gb

Is this possible to do, perhaps a terminal command or something?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)

Posted on Sep 16, 2016 11:29 PM

3 replies

Dec 25, 2017 8:54 AM in response to Barney-15E

It might be old and incorrect but if the entire rest of the world still use it, that might be new and righteous, but totally useless. OSX should give users a choice. The "Think Different" must be there, somewhere. Is not "different" by the rest of the world, but different by people who want to impose their will, in the first instance. See the Apple 1984 commercial, and how we got too far from the core spirit...

Dec 25, 2017 9:47 AM in response to Paolo Zanellati

The rest of the world uses SI units and thus must adhere to using exponents of base 10 if they use the common notation of kilo, mega, giga, tera, peta, etc. You can't just arbitrarily decide that you will use 1024 instead of 1000 when you use the prefix, kilo. If a kilobyte is not 1000 bytes but is instead 1024 bytes, then it is not a kilobyte, it is a kibibyte.

Sep 17, 2016 4:39 AM in response to ipodconnected

As far as I'm aware, there is no way to change it. Apple abandoned the old, incorrect way of displaying size based on 1024 long ago. There was a third-party utility that did that, switchDiskSizeBase, but I don't know if it works. When Apple required Code-signing, I don't think it kept up, so it won't work in El Capitan or later (unless the author updated his near decade old code).

change how file size is figured in system 10.11 ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.