Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 2010 15" GPU Panic - fix (potential)

Hello,

Well, after years i found a solution (so mine?). I have the famous MacBook Pro 6,2 with GT330m (0x0a29 model).

I discovered that this problem happens every time that g-state change between 2 to 0 (or 2 to 1). The problem in the use of nvidia is not the gpu, but the stabilization of the voltage when the gpu changes from g-state 2 to 0 (or 2 to 1), causing the known issues.

G-States go from 0 to 3, are related to the gpu use (idle/load).

This is to maximize performance and battery consumption. Are related to the thresholds inside AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext, like this:

G-state 0 (maximum speed) and G-state 3 (lowest speed).

I solved the problem by keeping it always at G-State 2 (medium speed), that the problem of stabilizing the voltage not compromise the gpu work.

And the performance? Exemple: Cinebench, default (G-state 0) i've about 15fps, with g-state 2 (medium speed): 10fps.). Not bad.

Battery consumption does not change much.

If you want to try, these are the values changed in the info.plist:

(attention: only try this if you really have the problem gpu panic).

<key>MacBookPro6,2</key>

<dict>

<key>LogControl</key>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>Vendor10deDevice0a29</key>

<dict>

<key>BoostPState</key>

<array>

<integer>2</integer>

<integer>2</integer>

<integer>2</integer>

<integer>2</integer>

</array>

<key>BoostTime</key>

<array>

<integer>2</integer>

<integer>2</integer>

<integer>2</integer>

<integer>2</integer>

</array>

<key>Heuristic</key>

<dict>

<key>ID</key>

<integer>0</integer>

<key>IdleInterval</key>

<integer>10</integer>

<key>SensorOption</key>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>SensorSampleRate</key>

<integer>10000</integer>

<key>TargetCount</key>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>Threshold_High</key>

<array>

<integer>0</integer>

<integer>0</integer>

<integer>100</integer>

<integer>200</integer>

</array>

<key>Threshold_High_v</key>

<array>

<integer>0</integer>

<integer>0</integer>

<integer>98</integer>

<integer>200</integer>

</array>

<key>Threshold_Low</key>

<array>

<integer>0</integer>

<integer>0</integer>

<integer>0</integer>

<integer>200</integer>

</array>

<key>Threshold_Low_v</key>

<array>

<integer>0</integer>

<integer>0</integer>

<integer>4</integer>

<integer>200</integer>

</array>

</dict>

<key>control-id</key>

<integer>17</integer>

</dict>

Perfect values? I do not know, but it is working for me. Only so.

Step by step:

1 - Verify that the file is the original and this loaded (there are mods that remove these files) and if they are the original (Apple signed):

• ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext (IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext)
  • AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext

You can check this on: About System Information -> Extensions

2 - Disable SIP (boot into recovery mode, terminal: csrutil disable)

SIP is important to safety, but, we are good guys, we'll know to keep the system safe!

3 - Open Extensions folder (System/Library/Extensions), copy AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext to desktop (or other folder), open the info.plist into editor (I used the PlistEdit Pro.app), and change the values like writing up.

Attention: verify if your model is 0x0a29 really.

4 - Save info.plist, quit editor.

5 - Use Kext Drop.app or Kext Utility.app (this is not marketing, okay?) Only to facilitate the process to instal this kext, but before, delete the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext into extensions folder.

6 - (This is important step) Leave the automatic graphics switching select (System Preferences - Energy Saver), if you are using gfxCardStatus.app, same thing!.

After, reboot normally.

(make sure the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext is loaded. You can check this on: About System Information -> Extensions)

Remember, the option automatic graphics switching selected always.

First:

here, in my tests is important every boot must be in automatic mode. Discrete gpu only (automatic graphics switching unselected) not working properly, and, i don't know why. Maybe smc is responsible.

Second:

after osx loading i can change to discrete cpu only or in automatic graphics switching. No problem.

without crash or failure.

(working Sierra GM also)

7 - Open Console.app, type into search: gfx0 and check if g-state changes if working!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35721057/console.png

AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext 10.11.6 (edited)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35721057/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext.z ip

Good luck. I hope this helps you

(sorry my poor english)

Posted on Sep 17, 2016 8:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2017 12:19 PM

Hi, I made a program to fix this issue. You can check it out here, it's free and open-source 🙂 : GitHub - julian-poidevin/MBPMid2010_GPUFix: MBPMid2010_GPUFix is an utility program that allows to fix MacBook Pro (15-i…

20 replies

Jul 24, 2017 1:13 PM in response to julian-poidevin

Hola Julian. Necesito tu ayuda por favor.

he tenido que hacer la primera actualizacion del sistema, y ha vuelto a reniciarse, e intentado hacerlo de nuevo el proceso pero me salta un error diciendo que no ha encontrado el archivo AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext y automaticamente me sale una ventana para seleccionar el archivo, pero me sale todo en gris, no me deja la opcion a seleccionar dicho archivo, que hago mal? que debo de hacer? cual es el problema ?

Jan 7, 2018 12:19 PM in response to julian-poidevin

Buenas Julian!

He probado el programa y en principio funciona correctamente 😀

Seguiré probando pero estoy entusiasmado con los resultados actuales.

Tenia una duda, hasta ahora usaba el programa gfxCardStatus para forzar a usar la gráfica integrada, pero no solucionaba el problema del todo.

Ahora que he usado el programa, ¿debería seguir usando el gfxCardStatus? ¿O en principio ya no hace falta salvo para tener información de la gráfica en uso?

Saludos!

Mar 7, 2018 12:54 AM in response to fabioroberto

Read numerous blogs etc about this issue, and i've been dealing with it for months. The solution i found was to replace the C9650 capacitor who regulates voltage on the power supply to the GPU - THIS RESOLVED it!!! The existing capacitor completely disintegrated when i was removing it, completely burnt out. There are several YouTube videos how to carry out the replacement.

My MacBook Pro mid-2010 was randomly rebooting around 20 times during the day and was extremely frustrating and i was about to throw it out, but i thought nothing to lose so give the capacitor replacement a go, over a week now and not one GPU Kernel Panic!! fingers crossed !!

Apr 6, 2018 4:35 PM in response to Rellis

Hello there,

my macbook pro mid 2010 core i7 2,8GHz is having a problem which is frustrating. My mac was rebooting randomly several times a day and i have temporarily fixed it by using MBPMID2010-GPU-fix which was offered by Julian but I still want it to be fixed permently without this mentioned program.

I have seen many vedios are showing replacing one of the capacitors to fix the kernel panic problem on the other hand the vedios were confusing me! one of them was mentioning the grey screen!! two vedios were showing two different mothoerboards and different capacitors for the same mac pro mid 2010!!

Could you please do me a favour and send me a pic of your macbook motherboard and capacitor if it is possible! That would be highly appreciated.

Thank you so much in advance!

Greetings!

MacBook Pro 2010 15" GPU Panic - fix (potential)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.