Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing Python 3.5.2 and ActiveState Tcl/Tk

I installed Python 3.5.2 package from python.org and per their recommendation went to activestate.com and downloaded and installed recommended Tcl/Tk package. When IDLE was opened it gave a message that Tcl/Tk was unstable and it appeared that the version was the one that came with the OS and not the one from ActiveState.com. I have more info on what I did at Macrumors.com here: Python installation questions.

Could the problem be that I installed Python 3.5.2 before I installed the ActiveState Tcl/Tk? I found some information about when the dynamic linker chooses the Tcl/Tk framework (at time of import) to link but didn't understand the implications. I'm wondering if installing Python 3.5.2 before I installed the recommended Tcl/Tk framework caused the dynamic linker to link the Apple Tcl/Tk instead. I might need to tell the linker to use the new framework. Any insights appreciated.

Posted on Sep 17, 2016 2:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2016 1:06 AM

When you run idle, by default, it is /usr/bin/idle which is installed by OS X (El Capitan) as the Python 2.7.10 distribution. It was compiled to look for the ActiveState Tcl v8.5.9 that Apple continues to ship.

When you installed Python 3.5.2, and I hope you did not install it over the existing OS X Python, it was a precompiled binary distribution that may not have been compiled to know about anything more than the available Tcl/Tk Frameworks that were part of OS X at the time. Even if you ran idle3 from within that Python 3.5.2 distribution, you may see no change in Tcl/Tk support.

When one installs Python from a package manager such as Homebrew, or alternatively, builds the source code themselves, there are build parameters (e.g. --with-tcl-tk) that tell the Python 3.5.2 source code to look for the Tcl/Tk Frameworks, and to use the ActiveState 8.6.4+ libraries if they are found. As idle3 is compiled at that time too, it knows to use the latest available Tcl/Tk Frameworks. This is the case with my idle3.

If you plan to build your own Python 3.5.2, you will need the latest command line tools for (OS X El Capitan), and I would encourage you to put the distribution into the /usr/local tree. I patched, and still use pythonbrew for multiple Python distribution juggling, as I have v2.7.12, and 3.5.2 installed. Both of these Python distributions let me build against ActiveState Tcl/Tk libraries.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 18, 2016 1:06 AM in response to Thomas Camilleri

When you run idle, by default, it is /usr/bin/idle which is installed by OS X (El Capitan) as the Python 2.7.10 distribution. It was compiled to look for the ActiveState Tcl v8.5.9 that Apple continues to ship.

When you installed Python 3.5.2, and I hope you did not install it over the existing OS X Python, it was a precompiled binary distribution that may not have been compiled to know about anything more than the available Tcl/Tk Frameworks that were part of OS X at the time. Even if you ran idle3 from within that Python 3.5.2 distribution, you may see no change in Tcl/Tk support.

When one installs Python from a package manager such as Homebrew, or alternatively, builds the source code themselves, there are build parameters (e.g. --with-tcl-tk) that tell the Python 3.5.2 source code to look for the Tcl/Tk Frameworks, and to use the ActiveState 8.6.4+ libraries if they are found. As idle3 is compiled at that time too, it knows to use the latest available Tcl/Tk Frameworks. This is the case with my idle3.

If you plan to build your own Python 3.5.2, you will need the latest command line tools for (OS X El Capitan), and I would encourage you to put the distribution into the /usr/local tree. I patched, and still use pythonbrew for multiple Python distribution juggling, as I have v2.7.12, and 3.5.2 installed. Both of these Python distributions let me build against ActiveState Tcl/Tk libraries.

Sep 18, 2016 1:25 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks for reply. I did run idle from within the Python 3.5.2 installation so I guess the binary does not know about the newer Tcl/Tk. I thought Python would look for it by searching in successive locations before defaulting if none found. Python.org specified the Python and Tcl/Tk installers so I expected them to work together.

Unfortunately I did install 3.5.2 over the existing OS X Python expecting to get an independent installation. Did I muck things up? How can I fix it?

Sep 18, 2016 5:21 AM in response to Thomas Camilleri

I just sat down and looked inside the Python 3.5.2 package installer. It deliberately does not step on the default OS X Python installation, when taking the installer defaults. Python 3.5.2 installs its Python.framework in /Library/Frameworks, and command-line binary tools into the /usr/local tree. Therefore, you are ok — providing you did not alter the default install destination.

It is unclear if the Python 3.5.2 installation provides you with a script to switch between Python 3.5.2 and OS X versions of Python. If you reference Python as /usr/local/bin/python, and idle as /usr/local/bin/idle, you should get the 3.5.2 versions of these applications. You may need to set/unset the $PYTHONPATH environment variable to the null string to access the default System Python, or the following to access Python 3.5.2:

/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Version/3.5/lib

Sep 18, 2016 9:55 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks for help; this is good news! Fortunately I let it use default destination. I guess I must be starting the new installation of Python as I ran idle from a new Python 3.5 folder which had been installed under Applications. Idle gave me the message that Tcl/Tk might be unstable. I will check the Python version and $PYTHONPATH environment variable to see current value and also try setting it to null and trying to run the Mac OS installation. Since the alert I got concerns Tcl/Tk, maybe the problem is with the Tcl/Tk version Python is linked to, which appears to be the native Mac OS installed framework. Is there a way to change this to point to the latest ActiveState framework (and learn where it's installed)?

Sep 19, 2016 5:32 AM in response to VikingOSX

I was told (on the Macrumors.com thread linked to in a previous post) that Python will not link against Tcl/Tk 8.6 and that I need a version 8.5.x. The version giving the warning in idle is 8.5.9 and came with El Capitan. Should I install an earlier version and, if so, how to know which? Will new installations of Tcl/Tk interfere with or overwrite one another? Or will they coexist as options which can be accessed by setting the $PYTHONPATH environment variable?

Sep 19, 2016 7:50 AM in response to Thomas Camilleri

Well, you know what they say about something being true if it is written on the Internet.... 😉

The following idle and idle3 screen captures tell the story:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

You see version 8.6.4 for idle3, because that was the ActiveState Tcl/Tk Frameworks that were installed when I compiled the Python 3.5.2 source with appropriate flag to tell it to use them.

I have read that if you install the ActiveState Tcl/Tk 8.5.18.0 Frameworks after you install Python 3.5.2, that it won't find them, but if you uninstall Python 3.5.2, and then reinstall it, then idle3 will find that latest ActiveState Tcl/Tk Frameworks. You might give that a try.

Here is some code that automatically works for Python 2.7.10, 2.7.12, and 3.5.2:

User uploaded file

Installing Python 3.5.2 and ActiveState Tcl/Tk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.