Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

An error occurred installing iOS 10 / Can't update via iTunes

I'm having the same problem as many other people posting without finding an answer. My iPhone 6 has not been able to update since iOS 9.3.2. The obvious fix is to update via iTunes, but when I try that, iTunes says "This version of the iPhone software (9.3.2) is the current version." iTunes is up to date. I am running Mac OSX 10.7.5.

Please suggest a way to update my iPhone.

iPhone 6, iOS 9.3.2

Posted on Sep 17, 2016 3:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2016 12:38 PM

Hi benbencaro,

Thanks for bringing your update issue to the Apple Support Communities. From your post I gathered that you have been trying to update your iPhone 6 to iOS 10 via iTunes, but you are unable to. I have an iPhone 6 as well and I was thrilled to update it to iOS 10. I will be happy to help you with this.

iOS 10 requires iTunes version 12.5.1, which is available on Mac OS X versions 10.9.5 or later. You will want to upgrade to El Capitan. Prior to upgrading it is always a good idea to backup the Mac using Time Machine. The following articles go over how to backup and upgrade the Mac OS X.

Use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac

Upgrade to OS X El Capitan

Then once you have upgraded to El Capitan, you will want to run software updates from the Mac App Store. This will ensure that you get the latest iTunes version 12.5.1 on your system.

Update the software on your Mac

Once you have iTunes updated, connect your iPhone to your Mac and create a backup to iTunes (if you don't already have one in iCloud) then you can update to the new iOS 10.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Have a great day!
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2016 12:38 PM in response to benbencaro

Hi benbencaro,

Thanks for bringing your update issue to the Apple Support Communities. From your post I gathered that you have been trying to update your iPhone 6 to iOS 10 via iTunes, but you are unable to. I have an iPhone 6 as well and I was thrilled to update it to iOS 10. I will be happy to help you with this.

iOS 10 requires iTunes version 12.5.1, which is available on Mac OS X versions 10.9.5 or later. You will want to upgrade to El Capitan. Prior to upgrading it is always a good idea to backup the Mac using Time Machine. The following articles go over how to backup and upgrade the Mac OS X.

Use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac

Upgrade to OS X El Capitan

Then once you have upgraded to El Capitan, you will want to run software updates from the Mac App Store. This will ensure that you get the latest iTunes version 12.5.1 on your system.

Update the software on your Mac

Once you have iTunes updated, connect your iPhone to your Mac and create a backup to iTunes (if you don't already have one in iCloud) then you can update to the new iOS 10.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Have a great day!

Sep 19, 2016 3:09 PM in response to benbencaro

Thanks for the follow-up, benbencaro. What is the exact error message you get when you try to update wirelessly/over the air? If you haven't already, force close the Settings app and then restart your device.

Force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Then once it's back on the Home screen, please remove the download and try the download and install the update again, per the Get help with over-the-air iOS updates​

Remove and download the iOS update again

If you still can't install the latest version of iOS, try downloading the update again:

1. Go to Settings > General > Storage & iCloud Usage. Under Storage tap Manage Storage.
  2. Find the iOS update in the list of apps.
  3. Tap the iOS update, then tap Delete Update.
  4. Go to Settings > General > Software Update and download the latest iOS update.

If you don’t see the update in the list of apps or if the issue happens again, you need to update your device with iTunes.

You may also want to try to use a different Wi-Fi network to attempt the update on.

Dec 12, 2016 7:37 PM in response to benbencaro

I just upgraded to 10.2 on both my ip hone and iPad simultaneously. The iPad updated fine. After downloading it to my iPhone, I went to install it and the iPhone kept telling me I wasn't connected to the internet, but I was. I read that I should delete the update and try again. I did: 3 times. Same results. I tried installing with and without wifi and no luck. Finally, I tried turning off my VPN and it worked.

An error occurred installing iOS 10 / Can't update via iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.