Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID Verification fails-can't reset iPad

I'm getting an old iPad ready to sell and want to erase content & settings. Can't do it (and can't simply reset or do anything), however, because when I enter my Apple ID password verification fails.

Question 1 - does it need to be connected to wifi for me to reset?

Question 2 - how can I log in if I'm entering it right and it's rejected? (I checked, yes, it's the right Apple ID and password)

iPad 2, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Sep 17, 2016 7:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2016 2:57 PM

Hello PatsyKB51,

Thanks for that info and choosing the Apple Support Communities. I know how important resetting this iPad is to you! Based on what you stated, it seems you may be having an issue because the iPad is not connected to the internet. Good news is you have a couple options to resolve this. First, you could connect your iPad to Wi-Fi and then erase content & settings again. If that doesn’t work, while the iPad is on Wi-Fi, you can erase it with the Find My iPhone feature from iCloud.com:

iCloud: Remove your device from Find My iPhone

You can also use iTunes on your Mac or PC to restore your iOS software to factory settings, as this process erases the information and settings on your device and installs a fresh copy of the latest iOS software.

Use iTunes on your Mac or PC to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings

Cheers!
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 18, 2016 2:57 PM in response to PatsyKB51

Hello PatsyKB51,

Thanks for that info and choosing the Apple Support Communities. I know how important resetting this iPad is to you! Based on what you stated, it seems you may be having an issue because the iPad is not connected to the internet. Good news is you have a couple options to resolve this. First, you could connect your iPad to Wi-Fi and then erase content & settings again. If that doesn’t work, while the iPad is on Wi-Fi, you can erase it with the Find My iPhone feature from iCloud.com:

iCloud: Remove your device from Find My iPhone

You can also use iTunes on your Mac or PC to restore your iOS software to factory settings, as this process erases the information and settings on your device and installs a fresh copy of the latest iOS software.

Use iTunes on your Mac or PC to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings

Cheers!

Apple ID Verification fails-can't reset iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.