Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I play DVDs on my iPad Pro?

Using my iPad Pro a lot these days. Would it play DVDs and CDs if connected to a SuperDrive?

iPad Pro, iOS 10

Posted on Sep 17, 2016 11:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2016 12:15 AM

No, you can't connect a DVD or CD player to an iPad, they won't be recognised

3 replies

Sep 21, 2016 1:07 PM in response to tongariro!rumble

No.

They won't be recognised, but more importantly they will, probably, draw too much power from the connector.

Apple used to let users who paid for their iTunes movie and TV content let them store that content onto an external Wireless WiFi enabled, portable hard drive or special mobile USB Flash drives and you could put the content on that drive and stream it over the built in WiFi transmitter these drives had.

This functionality worked for a very long time until Apple underhandedly, without ever reporting to users that they were going to remove this functionality, removed/coded out this ability sometime during the development and updates for iOS 8.

You maybe able to store movie and TV content on these moblie wireless drives, but you will need to transfer those movies and TV shows back to your iPad to play them.

I don't know if the streaming functionality has returned in iOS 10 (there is little functionality in iOS 10 for me, currently, so I am not installing iOS 10) as I have not seen anyone else, who used to use this functionality and that have upgraded to iOS 10, confirm whether the remote storage streaming functionality has return in iOS 10 or not.

There are ways to get this functionality to work once again that I have used, but these methods are considered not legai and no one here can ever discuss those methods.

If you wish to purchase a portable wireless hard drive or special ,small, mobile, portable USB flash style drive stick and want to store and/or stream or just transfer this movie or tv content to these drives, these portable drives are made by Seagate, Western Digital/SanDisk (which is owned by Western Digital, now).

You will need to search for your own answers for how to actually do this and decide if this is something you want to do.

You simply cannot play the actual CD/DVD/Blu-ray discs on an iPad from an externally connected optical drive.

Apple made this impossible with iDevices and iOS.

Good Luck!

Can I play DVDs on my iPad Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.