Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 7 Touch ID not working when plugin charger

I just got my iPhone 7 about yesterday, and I had noticed that the Touch ID (fingerprint recognition system) does not work when it is plugged in on charge. The charger works perfectly fine and charges my phone and nothing else seems to be wrong with my 7. When I unplug it from charge the Touch ID works perfectly fine. when connect my iPhone 7 to my mac with charger cable having the exact same issue.

iPhone 7, iOS 10

Posted on Sep 18, 2016 7:18 AM

8 replies

Jan 22, 2017 10:36 AM in response to Problem with my battery

I have had this problem with 5 iphones in a row over the last 2 years. When in the mount vertical and charging the bio id stops working. Which is unsafe as that is when I am driving and using the GPS in the phone. When it isn't charging there is no issue with the fingerprint working or when the phone is horizontal.

And I'm really getting tired of having to change the phone because of the 6s+ screen defect. Even under warranty I still waste hours setting the phone up, app user names etc. They should have recalled it.

Jan 26, 2017 1:49 PM in response to Problem with my battery

I have the same issue. A brand new iPhone 7 Plus. When the charger is plugged in it will not recognize my finger prints (not to unlock nor once unlocked to unlock other apps that can be unlocked by the fingerprint sensor.

However, if I unplug my iPhone 7 Plus then the fingerprint sensor works fine.

This is a problem that has dogged Apple since 2014 and I am SHOCKED that this is STILL a problem in 2017. A new iPhone 7 Plus with even the most updated sensor having this problem in 2017 is just shoddy, and something that should shame Apple that it is still a problem after 4 years.

Aug 1, 2017 12:34 PM in response to Worldbreaker00

Wow I'm noticing the problem on my brand new iPhone 7 plus and you guys have a post going already. I don't think 3rd party chargers are a real issue because my stock charger which is brand new is throwing it off. Unplugged it and instantly recognized and unlocks. Maybe that's why Samsung moved there's to the top of the phone away from the charging port for less interference. It's really annoying.

Oct 10, 2016 2:10 PM in response to Problem with my battery

I actually just noticed this to. I've noticed issues with Touch ID on my 7 Plus however I had no idea why. I took it in today because of the screen and it's still not resolved yet. Last effort is to restore the phone completely. If that doesn't work than they will replace it. When I saw your post, I tried it and Touch ID works when it's not plugged in but when I plug it in to my MacBook Touch ID does not work at all. Very interesting, might be a software glitch within 10. I'll tell Apple when I go back tomorrow to return a 3rd party lightening cable that does not work properly that I bought today.

Oct 20, 2016 10:56 AM in response to Problem with my battery

I have had this problem with both my 5S and SE models. After some experimenting, I determined that it depended on which charger I was using.

When using stock charger and charging from a PC/Mac, I don't have the problem at all.

Certified 3rd party chargers seemed to work, like my Nomad.

When plugged into a cheaper USB chargers that I've had for a while for other devices, I cannot use TouchID. In fact, with one charger, even the touch screen does not work when plugged in! I suspect it must have something to do with the current; perhaps it's a sign of a defective charger and/or cable.

iPhone 7 Touch ID not working when plugin charger

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.