Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 7 won't connect to iTunes on computer

I just bought the iPhone 7 and I've been trying to to connect it to iTunes to restore my backup, however the error message "the iPhone cannot be used because it requires a newer version of iTunes" keeps popping up, even though I already updated my iTunes to the latest version available. Is there anything I can do to fix this??

iPhone 7, iOS 10

Posted on Sep 18, 2016 10:18 AM

40 replies

Feb 22, 2017 8:48 AM in response to Redman6562

If you run Windows XP SP 3 or Vista then iTunes is maxed out at version 12.1.3.6. While it seems users with iOS 10.0 through 10.1 were able to sync and backup with this older version of iTunes, upgrading or restoring a device running iOS 10 requires iTunes 12.5.1 or later. It would also seem that iOS 10.2 has broken the ability to sync with iTunes 12.1.3.6 and the minimum version for iOS 10.2 is iTunes 12.5.4.42.

Upgrading to Windows 7 or later would let you install the current version of iTunes, or see Move your iTunes library to a new computer if you decide it it is time for new hardware. Alternatively you could take out a subscription to iTunes Match which would allow music added to your iCloud Music Library on your computer to become available to stream or download to your device. See Subscribe to iTunes Match - Apple Support for details.

This particular ship has sailed. I don't think there is any merit in waiting for Apple to change course.

tt2

Mar 12, 2017 4:20 PM in response to dkot

No, there will be a problem with your version of Apple Software Update. Download the installer from Apple's website.

If you have difficulty downloading the current iTunes installer file try; unticking the "Keep me up to date..." box, clearing your browser's cache, changing pop-up blocker settings, right-clicking or ctrl-clicking the download button, using an alternate browser, using the direct links from here, or download the installer on another computer and transfer to yours with a USB drive. Another user also mentioned pausing and resuming the download to help it complete as a possible workaround for network timeout issues. It may also help to temporarily disable AV software.

Once you've downloaded the setup file right-click on it and use the Run as administrator option.

See Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates if you have any further trouble with the installation.

tt2

Mar 12, 2017 3:58 PM in response to Vere99

The statement 'Windows 7 or later' is misleading. I'm running Windows 10 Home and having the same issue where 12.1.3.6 64-bit is the latest version.

Are there any plans to have a release of iTunes to support different versions of Windows 10? Does the new iTunes version only support Windows 10 Pro?

Thanks

Mar 16, 2017 8:57 AM in response to Thenuka perera

Thenuka perera wrote:

That is what the same problem i have for my iphone 7 plus, just give me a proper option ASAP

The proper option has been given several times in this thread. You need to have the most up to date version of iTunes installed, which currently is 12.5.5.5

On Windows this requires Windows 7 or above.

What version of Windows do you have?

What exact version of iTunes are you running?

Jul 22, 2017 2:22 PM in response to 70camarors

Do you hear Windows make a sound when the device is (dis)connected?

Do you hear Windows make a sound when other devices are (dis)connected?

Unlock the device, which has at least one image in the camera roll, then connect to USB. Does it show in Windows Explorer?

If the answers are no, yes, no then try another cable.

If yes, yes, yes then reinstall iTunes as shown in the user tip.

tt2

Sep 18, 2016 5:29 PM in response to pat1067

If you are running Vista then you cannot be running the latest iTunes version which is required to sync and restore an iPhone 7.

Windows Vista cannot run iTunes 12.5.1.

If your computer supports it, its suggested to update to a newer version of Windows. At least Windows 7 to be able to install iTunes 12.5.1 which is required for an iPhone 7.

Iphone 7 won't connect to iTunes on computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.