Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't change track order in a created playlist

I have created a playlist in Apple music on my iPhone SE, however when I try to change the order of the tracks it won't save. When I press edit, the three lines appear next to each track and I can move them up and down the playlist to the order I want, however when I press done, the tracks revert to their original order.

Can anyone help?

iPhone SE, iOS 10

Posted on Sep 18, 2016 12:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2017 10:32 AM

I had this problem too, along with many others (songs purchased in iTunes were not showing up in Music, playlist created on one device was not synced to others…). I spent 40 minutes on the phone with Apple support and signed out and into iCloud on my devices, didn't work; reset all settings on my devices, didn't work; hard restart, didn't work.

Solution: After all of that, the thing that finally got everything working as you'd expect was deleting the Music app and re-downloading it from the App Store. Now everything works like a dream.

50 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2017 10:32 AM in response to Stevo2905

I had this problem too, along with many others (songs purchased in iTunes were not showing up in Music, playlist created on one device was not synced to others…). I spent 40 minutes on the phone with Apple support and signed out and into iCloud on my devices, didn't work; reset all settings on my devices, didn't work; hard restart, didn't work.

Solution: After all of that, the thing that finally got everything working as you'd expect was deleting the Music app and re-downloading it from the App Store. Now everything works like a dream.

Mar 3, 2017 10:25 AM in response to gspiker

I have an issue where my playlists on my phone will only show in order by date added, despite the fact that I have them organized alphabetically on iTunes. I deleted the Music app, reinstalled it, turned on my iCloud music library and the playlists did not change. They still only show songs by the date added. It seems like the problem may be iCloud.

If anyone has a solution for this I would love to hear it. This is very frustrating wasting my time reading thread after thread trying to find a solution to something as simple as getting the playlists on my phone to show songs alphabetically.

Mar 30, 2017 3:40 AM in response to dhs803

I'm currently having the problem outlined by many here. When I turn iCloud Music off and back on, though, the playlist order stays as it is in iTunes on my MacBook Pro. So that's good. But I can't change the playlist order at all on my iPhone. After spending time with Apple Support, the only solution is exactly what others have suggested: reset your iPhone and *set up as new* (that's the key; don't just backup and restore). Once you've set up as new and installed Music and made sure the problem is resolved, you *might* be able to restore from an earlier back up but I wouldn't try.

Mar 30, 2017 10:38 AM in response to Xavier9481

I have got this same problem on my relatively new iPhone 6. Nothing seems to fix it. Songs in a playlist will not stay in their new locations when I hit the Done button.

I shall try this suggested solution (it is the only option I have left). My IOS is 10.2.1 and the backup I just did was the first one on this particular phone. I synced a few playlists I have previously used on my old iPhone 5.

Let's see if a full backup and restore does the trick..

JT

Mar 30, 2017 12:15 PM in response to Alpine_guy

Agreed. I think the earlier trick was to reset the device and, update to the latest firmware (if you hadn't already), and set up the device as a new device, not restore from a back up. If you restore from a back up, you're just reintroducing the problem.

Fortunately, the iOS update was well timed so I didn't have to mess with that step.

Glad to have it fixed, that's for sure.

Apr 20, 2017 1:49 PM in response to sowrabhmjain

Ok this is what helped me. Went to Apple Support chat and this is what they successfully proposed. Works on iTunes 12+.

1) Connect your iPhone to laptop and backup via iTunes

2) Restore and setup as a new iPhone.

3) Disconnect iphone, go to Settings, General, Reset, Erase all settings and data (dont ask me why to do this when the iphone is empty).

4) Connect again, create playlist.

5) Boom - you can change the tracks order in your iPhone.

Jun 21, 2017 8:53 AM in response to Stevo2905

I am new to iphone and also have this issue. The sort order worked perfectly fine yesterday. All of a sudden, it stopped working. I did everything. Rebooted and re-synced my phone, downloaded the update, deleted the app and reinstalled. Still nothing. I'm even trying to add them in the order that I want them in so I don't need to rearrange them. But the last song added randomly gets thrown in the middle of the playlist. (Not alphabetically or the date/time in which they were added) What in the heck is going on? I'm about to completely drop Apple Music. There's no point in using the app if I can't organize and sort playlists.

Jul 1, 2017 12:18 AM in response to Aruel45

Just joined Apple Music, tried to creat a gym playlist on iPhone se but it won't save the track order.

Not got a computer to mess about with iTunes or time and patience to reset phone back up etc. This should just work. It seems like this is an ongoing issue so no idea why apple can't fix.

Looks like I will have to find an alternative source to creat my own play lists.

Jul 1, 2017 3:37 PM in response to Stevo2905

I have been having the same issue. I was reluctant to reinstall the OS to fix it since I do not make many playlists in general. But I did finally find a work around if the correct playlist order is on MacOS. In iTunes (MacOS) if I right clicked on the name of the playlist, located in the side bar of your Library, and then duplicated the playlist, the iOS version (of the duplicate) will have the correct track listing order.

Now the same problem exists with this duplicated playlist, if you change the order anywhere (MacOS or iOS) the order will not ”stick” on iOS. But it’s a quick fix, and keep your fingers crossed for update to fix it for good.

Sep 17, 2017 10:14 AM in response to Stevo2905

Same issue here. Iphone 7 Plus on latest (10.3.3) iOS. That's just ridiculous. I am long time Spotify user, yesterday I decided to give AM a chance but I wont be setting up my iPhone as new one just to fix something that supposed to be fixed by simple firmware update. iOS11 coming out in two days - if it doesn't fix this issue I'm staying with Spotify.

Can't change track order in a created playlist

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.