Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio interface for Garageband

I have an early 2011 Macbook Pro with upgraded RAM (upgraded from 4GB to 8GB). I have previously used ProTools 8 LE for recording in my Macbook Pro. I have two audio interface devises: Mbox 2 Mini, Digidesign 003 Rack. Since recently upgrading my operating system to El Capitan, my old ProTools 8 LE software isn't working, nor will my Macbook recognize my two audio interfaces. I also have Garageband in my Macbook (it came with it when I bought it), but have never used it. Given the challenges with El Capitan, is there any way to get my computer to recognize the audio interfaces I have, and if so, are they usable with Garageband? In another post, I'm trying to get answers for doing an external bootable older operating system that would let me use my older software and hardware, but just curious about the options for using Garageband.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), OS X El Capitan (10.11.5), Upgraded ram from 4GB to 8GB

Posted on Sep 18, 2016 11:56 AM

2 replies

Sep 19, 2016 5:08 PM in response to BrokeBookPro

Hi BrokeBookPro,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities! I understand you have updated your MacBook Pro to OS X El Capitan. Since then you have discovered your ProTools 8 software is not compatible. From the Avid website, it doesn't appear that your Mbox 2 Mini or Digidesign 003 interfaces are compatible either.

It sounds like it would be more economical to keep your older operating system on a partition or on an external drive so that you can continue working with your older hardware/software.

GarageBand is our consumer level DAW application. The current version is 10.1 Our professional application, Logic Pro, would be closer to the Pro Tools software that you are used to. Here is a little more information about both of these applications:

GarageBand Support

Logic Pro X

If you want to give GarageBand a try with the internal microphone or connecting a guitar or keyboard to your computer, take a look at the GarageBand User Guide to get a feel for the software.

GarageBand User Guide

This link to our website has some compatible audio interfaces . If you are looking to purchase new gear, you'd just need to check with the manufacturer to make sure it is compatible with OS X El Capitan, Logic Pro X, or GarageBand 10.

Take care,

Audio interface for Garageband

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.