Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App opens every time I unlock my phone

I have an iPhone 6 running iOS 10 and I've been dealing with this issue since I updated my phone this past week. Every time I unlock my phone, it automatically opens the Google Drive app on my home screen. I replaced Google Drive with the Linkedin app for a day and it did the same thing with Linkedin. It seems to do it to any app that is in that location on the home screen. Has anyone ever dealt with anything like this? I've never had any issues with this phone. Everything else works flawlessly and I'm really enjoying this update. I just figured I'd check and see if anyone else has experienced this or has any solutions. Also, I apologize if this was posted in the incorrect group. I couldn't find one for iOS issues. Thanks for the feedback.

User uploaded file

iPhone 6

Posted on Sep 18, 2016 7:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2016 6:07 AM

if you have not found a solution/answer, here is one.

Its nothing to do with the iphone or the app, its just that you are accidentally touching the app when unlocking the phone. I had this problem and did some research/testing. It happens because of the extra touch from unlocking the phone is propagating to the home screen. If you change the passcode with the different last digit from your previous passcode's last digit, the app under that digit on the home screen will open, its because you are touching it one time more than required. Ex. I had passcode 9999, it is natural for me to hit 99999 or 999999 quickly to unlock the phone. So the app under 9 on the home screen after unlocking the phone will open. I tried changing the password to 7777 and the app under 7 was opening. Its just usage error.

27 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2016 6:07 AM in response to beersst

if you have not found a solution/answer, here is one.

Its nothing to do with the iphone or the app, its just that you are accidentally touching the app when unlocking the phone. I had this problem and did some research/testing. It happens because of the extra touch from unlocking the phone is propagating to the home screen. If you change the passcode with the different last digit from your previous passcode's last digit, the app under that digit on the home screen will open, its because you are touching it one time more than required. Ex. I had passcode 9999, it is natural for me to hit 99999 or 999999 quickly to unlock the phone. So the app under 9 on the home screen after unlocking the phone will open. I tried changing the password to 7777 and the app under 7 was opening. Its just usage error.

Jan 12, 2017 4:44 PM in response to beersst

Hi there,

I also having the same problem when the first time I got my 7plus.

The app's that opened when you unlocked your phone is match to the last digits from your PIN (^,^)

So basicly, you pressing your PIN one time too much and the iphone saving this action for after the unlock process to open the apps.

As an example, my PIN is ending with 66 and my Whatsapp is extactly on the place where the 6 should be.

Sometimes I am in hurry and might accidently triple tap the 6 and that cause to open the apps.

I hope this answer helps you!

Jan 25, 2017 4:56 AM in response to JeepGregWrangler

I agree about the analysis. But it still doesn't solve Apple from finding a solution for that NEW problem.

With the older iOS versions it never happened (and I've been using iPhones since the iPhone 3 days).

I didn't update my passcode and I definately didn't change my habits or the technique I use to type my passcode. All I did was I updated my iOS about a week ago and ever since I'm suffering from this symptom.

Probably someone at Apple forgot to add a "delay" command in the new iOS code.

By adding a short delay of probably 50-100 milliseconds after typing the last digit of the correct passcode Apple can solve this annoying NEW bug! It's a breeze!

Do they read these forums at all?

Jan 25, 2017 4:58 AM in response to IThinkIGotIt!

I agree about the idea. But it still doesn't solve Apple from finding a solution for that.

With the older iOS versions it never happened since I had my first iPhone 3.

I didn't update my passcode and I definately didn't change my habits or the technique I use to type my passcode. All I did was I updated my iOS about a week ago and ever since I'm suffering from this symptom.

Probably someone at Apple forgot to add a "delay" command in the new iOS code.

By adding a short delay of probably 50-100 milliseconds after typing the last digit of the correct passcode Apple can solve this annoying NEW bug! It's a breeze!

Do they read these forums at all?

Feb 8, 2017 9:21 AM in response to beersst

I believe I have this same issue too, but the app I have open automatically is Pay. Pay is contained within a folder so I would think that after entering a passcode I could not hit this app by mistake (this also happens via finger authorization). If I could at leas change this to open some other app than Pay, i'd be a bit happier. This began as I start using Pay..

Thanks!

- scott -

May 29, 2017 6:08 PM in response to Supersnowflakeful

There is nothing for "them" to correct. You have a problem with your phone. You can try to troubleshoot it yourself, or make a genius bar appointment and have Apple look at it. As a start, if you have a case or a screen protector that can be putting pressure on the screen. Try removing them. If your phone is bent, that can also cause this problem.

Oct 29, 2016 6:23 AM in response to beersst

I have an iPhone 6 and I updated it to the iOS 10 last week.

Every time (almost random) I unlock the screen the same app(s) opens automatically by itself.

I agree that it's related to the location because I have 3 pages and so it opens automatically the app on that same location on the page.

I am trying to check with the Genius Bar in Apple Store to see if they can resolve it or if it's something already reported.

Nov 6, 2016 5:40 AM in response to beersst

I too updated my iPhone 6 to the latest update version 10.1.1 and for me EVERYTIME I unlock my phone the Apple Music app opens. It is located in the same place as your Google Drive app on my iPhone. I tend to agree with the others posting that it has something to do with where apps are located on the screen. I believe I know what is happening but cannot understand why. Bear with me...

Back in the day (when check writing was a thing), I paid my bills using duplicate checks. Duplicate checks allowed me to keep a carbon copy of my paid checks for record keeping. Problem was if I didn't place a "protective sheet" between the check I was writing and it's duplicate (let's say check#0005 for illustrative purposes) and the new check immediately behind it (let's say check#0006) the carbon duplicate of check#0006 would annoyingly retain an image of the info I wrote when writing check #0005.

I believe this is what is happening when the apps "automatically" open after unlocking the iphone. I believe that if your passcode ends with "3" "6" "9" or a combination of those numbers on the right side of the unlocking screen, the the app(s) that automatically open (after unlocking) "sit" immediately behind one of those three numbers. Almost like a carbon" copy of what you last pressed on the unlocking screen is being retained and automatically opens the app behind it.

I didn't try this suggestion but might be a fix:

1) change your passcode so it includes letters at the end

Real talk: Apple needs to fix this! It's annoying.

App opens every time I unlock my phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.