Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When will Apple finally release iPhone 7 unlocked

I'm from outside the US and I want to know when will apple sell the iPhone 7 (& plus) sim free/ unlocked so that I can use where I live. If there is another option (other than that) please tell me what can be done so that I can buy mine soon. Thank you!

Posted on Sep 19, 2016 7:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2016 7:08 AM

All iPhones 7 currently being offered by Apple are unlocked if you pay full price for them.

They are not sim free, since they come with a sim for a selected carrier, but are entirely unlocked, and can be used with other compatible GSM carriers.

User uploaded file

The easiest option is to choose T-Mobile as your carrier. Then simply remove the Sim card from the iPhone when it arrives.

Note that Warranty is not international. So if anything happens to the iPhone that needs service it will have to be taken back to the country of purchase for warranty service.

39 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2016 7:08 AM in response to lalachahin

All iPhones 7 currently being offered by Apple are unlocked if you pay full price for them.

They are not sim free, since they come with a sim for a selected carrier, but are entirely unlocked, and can be used with other compatible GSM carriers.

User uploaded file

The easiest option is to choose T-Mobile as your carrier. Then simply remove the Sim card from the iPhone when it arrives.

Note that Warranty is not international. So if anything happens to the iPhone that needs service it will have to be taken back to the country of purchase for warranty service.

Sep 24, 2016 2:08 PM in response to kiril1990

kiril1990 wrote:

I called apple about this and they told me this. Yes it's unlocked but first you have to activate it with the carrier you purchase it on. If you buy a t-mobile iphone 7, it's unlocked but you have to first activate it with t-mobile then cancel the service. This is just what I've been told from Apple.

Not if you buy it outright at full retail price. If you buy it under the upgrade program, then yes, activation is required and you can then cancel and move your service as the device is unlocked. But if purchased outright, you can walk out of the store with an unlocked device in a still sealed box and use whichever carrier you wish to.

Note too that if you were thinking of using the online USA Apple Store from abroad, you cannot. The online store requires payment in US dollars, from a US issued payment source linked to a USA billing address. The online store also does not ship internationally. Also, an iPhone purchased from Apple USA or a USA Apple authorized reseller has no warranty coverage outside of the USA. When you pay in full, you own the device, unlocked, with no attached requirements or program limitations.

Sep 25, 2016 5:56 AM in response to Mountaineer88

There is no such thing as an iPhone with an international warranty. They have never had that. The iPhone warranty in every country has always included the qualifier that service may be restricted to the country of original purchase. You should always buy an iPhone in the country you live in to ensure you will have warranty coverage.

And nobody here knows anything about when Apple may or may not release any particular product or version of a product.

Sep 25, 2016 12:18 PM in response to Michael Black

Hey guys you wanna check this year apple went different route I have return three phones which I paid full price but they were not unlocked even I got them unlocked from AT&T than found out that this year Apple completely block the AT&T and T-Mobile with CDMA and SCDMA chips even though my phone s unlocked but will not work on certain carriers. Plus I had paid full price however still need it to active the phone first before can use my T-Mobile sim or AT&T phone. So return 3 phones today went to Apple Store and guy said the Verizon phone unlocked but still the process of activation has to be followed with valid account or creat a new account service plus even than they are not sure if will work on AT&T. I dig bit more that there 4 different models came out GSM version might be using the Intel chip which works for VOLTE and other has old Quliqum chip which EVDO and CDMA. so I will wait till the unlock version comes. This info is available at Apple site when you chose the phone there is an option click and tells you If the unlock phone works with what network.

Sep 27, 2016 4:15 AM in response to lalachahin

well yes some time in NOV but not sure can't that answer from anyone yet I am trying just about everyday still to figure out when because I travel every week to different country for work and require fully unlocked phone so soon as I get my hands on one or get any news when they will be available I will let you know. But keep a good solid hope for NOV.

Sep 29, 2016 12:15 AM in response to iteknik

Thank you so much Iteknik for your kind information, Actually, I have also purchased Iphone 7 plus unlocked with T Mobile Sim (GSM Version) thinking that it may works with other sims. It may takes 2-3 weeks to arrive. I want to use this Iphone outside USA. So could you please give me any idea about what I have to do to make it works outside USA with other Sims. If it requires Activation with T Mobile then which procedure I have to follow. Help in this regard is highly appreciated.

Sep 29, 2016 3:09 AM in response to Dipak_bohora

Hello Dipak,

I Am not sure which is your carrier but Apple just release the new update few days ago and I see good amount bands open up so if your T-MOBILE PHONE and paid the full price only than phone is unlocked to GSM Carriers only. So not sure which carrier you will using this phone with you can ask your provider if they are CDMA BAND than no phone will not work lock or unlocked. But if you are GSM carrier than forst step take the T mobile SIM card out put your carrier active SIM card in and than turn on the phone and just follow the process to activate the phone it should be all good. If you want the fully factory unlock phone with all bands than still have to wait till NOV which apple hasn't released yet. But like If you have a GSM carrier than you should be good provided you paid full price and you bought a phone from Apple not T-Mobile website or store.

Sep 29, 2016 3:47 AM in response to lalachahin

I hope Apple exec.'s read this. I'm sure there are a lot of Apple followers which are waiting for the release of the unlocked sim-free version urgently but in today's day and age this option should have been offered on the same release dates as the others. It is obvious that because of this "WAIT" many will opt for buying another brand, I myself am considering changing to another brand of smartphone because of the wait. Apple.....please release it tomorrow as you did two weeks later as LAST YEAR!!!

When will Apple finally release iPhone 7 unlocked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.