Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

VPN using hotspot with ios 10 not working

I frequently work offsite and use my AT&T iPhone 6s to tether my Windows 10 Pro work tablet (ASUS Transformer T300CHI). Although a lot of the places I work have Wifi, most do not allow VPN which I need to connect to my work server. After the ios 10 update (I am on 10.0.1), I have not had issues tethering, but VPN no longer works.

The Windows 10 Pro built-in VPN on my tablet has an automatic configuration that appears to detect the type of configuration (IKEv2/PPTP/IPSec/L2TP, etc) and you just put in username and password. According to my IT dept, the VPN connection in the office not only supports PPTP (which I understand has been disabled with ios 10) but also supports IKEv2 and L2TP/IPSec. Regardless, I always left VPN setup on Windows 10 in Automatic. I have tried selecting the type of connection but this has not worked either. I typically get a "VPN tunnels failed" error

Any thoughts would be appreciated

iPhone 6s, iOS 10

Posted on Sep 19, 2016 9:30 AM

50 replies

Jan 31, 2017 8:13 PM in response to MattyBH

My feedback/experience to throw in to the mix...

My two systems are: Mac OS X 10.10.5 & MacOS 10.12.1 . They are connecting via iPhone running iOS 10.2.1 (via WiFi or bluetooth hotspot). VPN: L2TP IPSEC.

This setup, which works flawlessly using regular WiFi, simply will not get a response from the VPN server on this hotspot. The VPN server doesn't even acknowledge any form of connection attempt. Switch to regular WiFi - perfect! I have never used PPTP so that does not factor in to my equation.

Have yet to try Mac OS 'under the bonnet' mods suggested above i.e. disabling IPSEC. When I have enough time to spare I will try that out of curiosity.

VPN through iPhone hotspot will be a very critical requirement for me soon. Fingers crossed!

Mar 6, 2017 6:07 PM in response to MattyBH

It amazes me that this is still an issue that is basically being ignored by Apple. It would seem like not many people actually connect to VPN using hotspot....or this would have a lot more interest.

I tried updating the driver manually to netdrivers but didn't allow it, it said that the current driver was the best and more current available....

I feel like Apple just gave the finger to some of their users.....

May 18, 2017 2:50 AM in response to MattyBH

I've read in another forum that is possible (but a bit complicated) to set up a virtual server in the cloud with L2TP to your client, and PPTP to the actual server, so that you can connect that way with the hotspot in L2TP without issues, and still have PPTP in the server. I can't find it anymore, but it seems like the only solution at the moment, does anyone know how to implement this? any examples or suggestions will be helpful.

Shame on Apple for having us to go into considering this complicated solutions, for something that could be as simple as not blocking the passthrough of PPTP...

Jul 6, 2017 4:20 AM in response to Timbo46

Has anyone got any progress on setting up their own networks to overcome this? I did this nice tutorial to set up my ubuntu VM as IKEv2 VPN server (which seemed easier than L2TP): https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-set-up-an-ikev2-vpn-serv er-with-strongswan-on-ubuntu-16-04

But had to create a separate VM to connect to PPTP, and having trouble linking both networks now... I think something needs to be done in the ip routing tables, but not sure how it works 😟

The final ideal would be that the iPhone / Mac connect to ubuntu VM IKEv2 VPN server... then the ubuntu IKEV2 VPN server redirects all traffic to another ubuntu VM, which redirects all traffic to it's PPTP connection... It sounds fairly simple, I'm sure ip routing tables is the solution, but not sure what to do 😟

Sep 10, 2017 4:12 PM in response to H.Storm

Thanks for the details, pulling my hair over this issue. And... thanks again apple for wasting more of my time.

Well, that's it. It's official, last straw. My slowly dying 5s will be the last iphone I own and probably the Apple device I buy--I've a new MacPro for work with touchbar and not only do I feel they've failed to move forward, but actually have started a downward spiral in general.

Oct 15, 2017 2:43 PM in response to yannhaur

Hi Yannhaur

I was having same issue just until few days back. We were having PPTP VPN which never worked when I connected my laptop to iPhone hotspot.

We recently move across to using L2TP VPN connection on all external users out of security concerns. Using L2TP on windows is just not easy. I followed this guide to configure that:

https://www.giganews.com/support/vyprvpn/vpn-setup/windows-10/l2tp.html

Surprisingly, now I can also connect to L2tp windows VPN while connected to iPhone hotspot.

Maybe this can work for you as well.

Sep 19, 2016 8:22 PM in response to MattyBH

MattyBH,

Please keep us posted if you were able to resolve this issue. I too am having the same problem since the iOS10 update. I think this has to do with Apple removing PPTP protocol from the IOS10... I was able to confirm the finding by downgrading to earlier IOS 9.3 and my VPN works fine, unfortunately my users with iPHONE7 cannot downgrade their IOS and now cannot access VPN through iOS10 hotspots 😟

Sep 19, 2016 9:31 PM in response to MattyBH

The latest version of the iPhone/iPad/Mac operating system, released ahead of the iPhone 7 launch, removes support for point-to-point tunneling protocol (PPTP) connections. This means that VPN setups using PPTP will no longer work with devices and computers running iOS 10 and macOS Sierra.

While PPTP is by and large considered outdated, the protocol is still being used by some companies and VPN providers, mine being one of them.

I have asked my Network guys to figure out how to rebuild our VPN setup with a different and more secure protocol. I'll let you know what they come up with.

Sep 20, 2016 8:20 PM in response to Husaberg450

My IT department is working on same thing. Unfortunately it does not seem very straightforward even though it sounds like the other protocols are available just not configured. We have tried to vpn with LT2P with non-Apple devices to no avail. Definitely doesn't appear to be an Apple/ios10 issue other than removal of PPTP protocol.

Sep 22, 2016 12:21 AM in response to MattyBH

Hi MattyBH,

I do the same, I use Windows 10 in my work notebook and connect to internet using my mobile hotspot (iPhone) and often require connecting to office via PPTP VPN. It also stopped woking after I upgraded to iOS10.

I searched in google and found your question but no descent answer. I had an idea, tested and it worked.

What I'm doing is using another VPN first. I have an account with PureVPN (could be any other) and I connected locally to a server in my country (speed still OK) using L2PT. After connected, I was able connecting via my normal Windows 10 PPTP VPN to our Office.

Hope this workaround helps

VPN using hotspot with ios 10 not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.