Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth contact sync in iOS 10 not working properly

Hello,

I have an iPhone 6S and just upgraded from iOS 9.x to iOS 10. Previously, when synchronizing contacts via Bluetooth with my car's handsfree system, the phone number type information (Home, Work, Mobile, etc.) was transferred, enabling the car's system to differentiate between a contact's multiple phone numbers. In iOS 10, however, the number type information doesn't seem to be transferred anymore so I end up with multiple phone numbers for each contact with no indication of which number is mobile, which is home, etc.

If anyone from Apple is reading this, can you please pass it on to the proper department?

Thanks,

Nick

Posted on Sep 19, 2016 5:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2016 6:29 PM

Apple is not here, you can be sure they will read by sending them a feedback:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

25 replies

Sep 19, 2016 5:50 PM in response to cinergi

cinergi wrote:

If anyone from Apple is reading this, can you please pass it on to the proper department?

This is a user to user support forum. Apple does not participate here. You may need to make contact with your vehicle manufacturer to see if their system is compatible with iOS 10. It is their responsibility to do that. In the meantime, you may wish to try troubleshooting the issue by removing the iPhone from the vehicle's Bluetooth list. Then removing the vehicle from the iPhone's Bluetooth list. Then put the vehicle back into discovery/pairing mode, and turn Bluetooth on for the iPhone. Then pair the two together again and let the vehicle download the iPhone's contact list. Test after that. If still not the way you expect, then contact your vehicle dealer about compatibility.

Sep 19, 2016 6:40 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thanks, I've already tried deleting and re-pairing but the result is the same. On automotive forums, I've also encountered a few other individuals (including one whose car is of a different make than mine) with the same problem. I've sent feedback to Apple as suggested above.

The contact sync has worked properly for me going as far back as the iPhone 3G, so it seems strange that it would suddenly stop working now unless it's just a bug in iOS 10 (which is what I think).

Thanks!

Sep 20, 2016 9:29 AM in response to cinergi

Okay, you did not indicate any troubleshooting. I understand that you have been using it for a while, as I have with my vehicle. However, each release of iOS, and Bluetooth profiles can cause manufacturer's devices not to work as before. While it could be something in your version of iOS, I'm not experiencing any issues with my device. It shows the type of number by an icon next to the number, and they are all working fine. Good luck with your troubleshooting.

Sep 20, 2016 9:27 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Hmm, my last message was not posted so I will try again.

I'll try contacting my vehicle manufacturer, but to be honest the problem is so subtle that I'm not even sure they will understand it, let alone do anything about it. The Bluetooth is working, except for the Contacts problem. I'm sure they will say it must be a phone problem, and to contact Apple...

Sep 26, 2016 2:11 PM in response to cinergi

Same problem for me. Prior iOS 10, my iPhone 5S was sending phone numbers from iPhone to my car system which displays the number onto the screen (Citroën Navidrive 3D from Harman Becker).

After iOS 10, no more number is sent onto display. However, sound/microphone is still working fine.

I'll have no update onto the car system as it is over 8 years old now, and the manufacturer will not spend money in support, everytime Apple changes their bluetooth profile in iOS.

Sep 27, 2016 6:34 AM in response to moe_ced

Your problem is actually worse than mine 😟. My contacts still load at least, just without the indication of whether the number is home, mobile, work, etc. My Bluetooth system is also made by Harman Becker I believe (very common for European cars).

Obviously Apple has changed something in the Bluetooth handsfree profile. Not sure why they felt it necessary to do so, but as a result something that had been working since the early iPhone days is now broken. Like you, my Bluetooth system is quite old (I have an E60-generation BMW 5 series whose production ended in 2010), so a software update is highly unlikely - especially since, arguably, the problem is on Apple's side.

For now I am just living with the problem.

cinergi

Oct 12, 2016 4:40 AM in response to cinergi

Exactly the same for me with a 2011 5 Series BMW. Groups now not showing in Contacts as they did before. The car now sync's all my contacts on the phone instead of the one group I have set up just for use when on the road.

Deleted the phone from the car, the car from the phone, re-paired them and the problem persists. I don't think this is an issue related to the car per se, I think it's a change within bluetooth that's affecting things since the IOS 10 update.

Oct 14, 2016 7:32 AM in response to TelJones

If you go to Settings>Bluetooth>and click on the ℹ next to your vehicle name, it should give you some selections. I believe this selections are going to be dependent on what your vehicle supports. The list should start out with Forget This Device. Beneath that, you should have a switch for syncing contacts, and then selections for determining what contacts. My vehicle has Groups, the Phone Favorites, and Phone Resents. Then there is a box for All Contacts. Again, since my vehicle does not support other groups, and I don't have groups on my phone, I don't see other selections. Do you happen to see other choices there that you can make to support your selection?

Bluetooth contact sync in iOS 10 not working properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.