Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Masters folder structure and iCloud limiting.

Recently tried to come back to Photos to see how it feels with Sierra, and using a photo editing program that has produced the extensions I like for external editing. I am wanting the integration across devices, iPads, iPhones etc.

I imported my images, 260 GB or so and 35,000 items and created a new library. Out of curiosity I looked at the masters folder and it has the usual structure down to the date that I imported them but they are all in one folder (the date of import). Although they originated in many folders, I just pointed Photos to my images library. This is a library going back to 2001 or so. (I do have a robust backup plan in place.....)

Anything to be worried of or crack on and get on with it? Seems to be working OK so I assume it is doing what it should?

Also, any way to limit the iCloud usage, I have 200gb bought but would rather the last year is kept in the cloud if that is possible.

At the moment iCloud is off for photos and it is working away doing whatever it is doing on the external hard drive.

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6), Mac OS sierra, not El Cap

Posted on Sep 20, 2016 12:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2016 2:02 AM

The Masters folder is not organized by the capture date of the photos but by the date of the import session - year, month, day of import. It has been the same in Aperture and iPhoto. So, if you imported the photos on the same day, they will be in the same folder.

It would be different, if you were migrating an existing iPhoto Library or Aperture Library. The Masters folder should then reflect the previous import sessions, but rebuilding the library can change this.

Also, any way to limit the iCloud usage, I have 200gb bought but would rather the last year is kept in the cloud if that is possible.

All photos from the system photo library will upload to iCloud, if you enable iCloud Photo Library. Use more than one library to limit the upload to selected photos. Only one library can upload to iCloud Photo Library. See this Heklp page: https://help.apple.com/photos/mac/1.0/?lang=en#/pht6d60b524

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2016 2:02 AM in response to J400SE

The Masters folder is not organized by the capture date of the photos but by the date of the import session - year, month, day of import. It has been the same in Aperture and iPhoto. So, if you imported the photos on the same day, they will be in the same folder.

It would be different, if you were migrating an existing iPhoto Library or Aperture Library. The Masters folder should then reflect the previous import sessions, but rebuilding the library can change this.

All photos from the system photo library will upload to iCloud, if you enable iCloud Photo Library. Use more than one library to limit the upload to selected photos. Only one library can upload to iCloud Photo Library. See this Heklp page: https://help.apple.com/photos/mac/1.0/?lang=en#/pht6d60b524

Masters folder structure and iCloud limiting.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.