Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't disable Home Control in Touch ID & Passcode settings

I'm on iOS 10, on iPhone 6. There's a switch that keeps turning itself on after I manually turn it off.

Under Touch ID & Passcode in Settings, there's a section labeled "Allow Access When Locked". One of the rows that shows up under there is Home Control (related to HomeKit). It's switch was defaulted to 'On', but I wanted to turn it off - I don't have/want any home automation. So I manage to get the slider to turn off (very difficult to get it so move/stick for some reason), and I then can see it's set to off. Yet if I get out and come back in to this setting, it's auto-reenabled! Why can't I turn this off? I suspect it's a software bug.

iPhone 6, iOS 10, Settings

Posted on Sep 20, 2016 2:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2016 7:50 AM

After an extensive call with Apple, including sending in huge gigabytes of diagnostic data from my phone, they admit it's an ongoing problem for some users. They had thought the issue was fully resolved in the 10.1.1 update. They've promised to contact me after the next update to see if it gets nailed then.

See also Re: Cannot disable 'Home Control' in locked screen for additional discussion of this issue.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2016 7:50 AM in response to visionaut

After an extensive call with Apple, including sending in huge gigabytes of diagnostic data from my phone, they admit it's an ongoing problem for some users. They had thought the issue was fully resolved in the 10.1.1 update. They've promised to contact me after the next update to see if it gets nailed then.

See also Re: Cannot disable 'Home Control' in locked screen for additional discussion of this issue.

Sep 27, 2016 3:34 PM in response to visionaut

Well I figured out part of it. That Home Control button will act wonky, and continually reset itself to on, until AFTER you try to start up the new Home app (which will require you to turn on ICloud for Home to do so).

Once that forced-initiation of the Home app is done, then the Home Control entry under the Allow Access When Locked section of TouchID & Passcode will actually work correctly (setting the switch off is no longer wonky, and it stays the way it's been set).

But this must clearly be a software bug. It doesn't make any sense that if you don't want to use/enable any Home automation (HomeKit) stuff, that you actually have to turn it on to then disable it all...

I can't disable Home Control in Touch ID & Passcode settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.