Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 10 Force iMessage to send as Text Message

In IOS 10, you can no longer press and hold your pending iMessage and get a screen that pops up and says "Send as Text Message" now a bubble pops up with a question mark, thumbs up/down, etc.

When I am in and out of service it can take several minutes for an iMessage to figure out it cannot send. It is extremely inconvenient when i am in bad service areas, which when traveling can be often. I know you can turn off iMessage in settings, but i do not want to go back and forth constantly, i just want to be able to quickly get my message out as a text message for just one message... so inconvenient that this option has been removed.

When i am in bad service, the blue bar at the top will stay at 80% for 5-10 minutes or longer. Please Apple stop removing features...

iPhone 6, iOS 10, iMessage Text Message

Posted on Sep 20, 2016 4:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2017 11:10 AM

This might not be such a useful post, but I've actually forced iOS 10 to send an iMessage as a text message. I'm not sure exactly how I've accomplished this, but here is what I've done and eventually got it to work:

1) Type the message and press send as usual. The message goes out as an iMessage.

2) Double tap on the blue message bubble and the weird menu with hearts and thumbs up and down pops up (what's that about, by the way..?).

3) Activate one of the symbols. Doesn't appear to matter which one.

4) Here comes the more peculiar part; tap frantically on the message (or on the weird icon), sometimes it seems to work better if one also shakes the phone in frustration. Eventually, somehow, a menu pops up with the alternative "Send as SMS".

So, the functionality is obviously still there. It's just not as obvious how to find it as things used to be on the iPhone.

If anyone has figured out how step 4 is actually supposed to be achieved, feel free to correct me. :)

24 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2017 11:10 AM in response to CeeB1

This might not be such a useful post, but I've actually forced iOS 10 to send an iMessage as a text message. I'm not sure exactly how I've accomplished this, but here is what I've done and eventually got it to work:

1) Type the message and press send as usual. The message goes out as an iMessage.

2) Double tap on the blue message bubble and the weird menu with hearts and thumbs up and down pops up (what's that about, by the way..?).

3) Activate one of the symbols. Doesn't appear to matter which one.

4) Here comes the more peculiar part; tap frantically on the message (or on the weird icon), sometimes it seems to work better if one also shakes the phone in frustration. Eventually, somehow, a menu pops up with the alternative "Send as SMS".

So, the functionality is obviously still there. It's just not as obvious how to find it as things used to be on the iPhone.

If anyone has figured out how step 4 is actually supposed to be achieved, feel free to correct me. :)

Jan 6, 2017 12:39 AM in response to psychdoctor

Yes, I found that it only works if the phone number is not linked to the apple id (as it is with a non-iPhone). At least it is still possible to text people who have an iPad at home and another brand cellphone on their way. It is really bad though that per default those people will receive messages sent from an Apple user on their iPad at home but not as SMS on their cellphone.

But Systerbjorn is right. Sometimes it is possible to get the option "send as sms". It is just not reliable or easy to do.

Jan 18, 2017 12:16 AM in response to CeeB1

Once you hit send, immediately hold down the blue bubble message, then a menu pops up from below and select Send as Text Message.

The trick is if you are not fast enough, it will deliver as iMessage and once status the Delivered appear under the bubble, the option in the menu will be gone.

I was frustrated at first with the change. Then I found from somewhere on the long press with menu pops, only then I found out you have to long press it before the message is delivered.

Jan 25, 2017 2:13 AM in response to CeeB1

Do you figure out that if a person hasn't internet coverage on iPhone could not be reached by a message if it has a an iPad at home?

All the messages will be delivered to the iPad next to me and I can't send messages to my wife at work because all the messages result delivered and there is no option to force an SMS.

If I turn on and off iMessage I will be reminded that my cell phone company will charge me for the activation SMS...

And for me is "international SMS" and it cost.

Jan 25, 2017 3:06 AM in response to BriannaAndres

This does not work if the receiver has any Apple device where iMessage IS available (like, iPad is at home connected to internet).

I think the only way to still use SMS as a free choice is if the receiver has his cellphone number not linked to his Apple ID. in this case, the sender can either send an SMS to the receivers cellphone number or an iMessage to the receivers Apple ID.

Jan 25, 2017 7:02 AM in response to iheechee

OK, just tested. It works. The receiver has to switch off "iMessages". The sender will then have to send messages directly to the receivers phone number (not name or apple id in "contacts") and it will be sent as SMS.

After sending one message this way, there will be a new thread in messages app with an SMS conversation which will probably allow to send SMS even when the receiver switches "iMessages" on again (can't verify this).

Hope somebody finds a better solution.

Feb 9, 2017 11:28 PM in response to iheechee

I agree that this is an issue (iPhone). If you have a device on a service somewhere then the message is considered sent. If you live in an area where services are out due to extended power outages or towers down due to fires the 'send as SMS' feature is indispensable and needs to be an option that you can access at will rather than the historic semi convenient route (being aware of message colours and overriding or duplicate sending) or the non existent current situation.

Mar 23, 2017 11:10 PM in response to CeeB1

I completely understand your frustration. I've had the same issues. After reading the other replies, I tried to fiddle with it again. I tested both ways. I sent an imessage, waitied and then I tried to send as a txt but I didn't get that option in the window of "Copy, Speak, More...". Then I typed the same message again and as soon as I tapped the send button, I immediately pressed and held the message and the option to send as a text message was display in the window of "Copy, Send as a txt, Speak, More..." and i got to send it as txt. Hope fully this will work for you to.

Sep 21, 2016 6:41 AM in response to CeeB1

I urgently need this feature, too. When you need to send an urgent message, in case of an accident, I can not wait for 10 minutes to see, that iMessage did not send the message. This often happens if the receiver is in another country at this time and has deactivated data-roaming. If I switch of iMessage in preferences, then I can send a SMS but on all my iOS devices and all my Macs come Alerts which say, that a new Device has joined iMessage. I completely disabled Messages on the Macs but this Message comes with a regular Alert box. How can I switch this warnings completely off.

IOS 10 Force iMessage to send as Text Message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.