Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Storage- "Frames" taking up space

So, I just updated to macOS Sierra and LOVE it- mainly because of how it actually helps you get rid of unnecessary storage clutter. Under "Manage" and then "documents", I notice that there are a ton of documents, each called "Frame 14336 - 15359" each with a different sequence of numbers at the end. They seem to take up a lot of space on my mac but I don't know if it's safe to delete because I don't know what it's for, so I'd just like to know if it's okay to delete.

If it helps, I have Office 2016 installed on my mac as well as Final Cut Pro X and Motion.

MacBook Air, macOS Sierra (10.12), 2015, 11.6 inch

Posted on Sep 20, 2016 6:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2016 2:30 PM

Thank you! I suspected it was something from FCPX/Motion. This solved my problem- I deleted those files and got almost 30 GB back!! A lot for someone with small storage space. 🙂 I usually delete my media/projects once I've exported them but I didn't realize they had cached frames still hanging around- good to know!!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2016 2:30 PM in response to norm123

Thank you! I suspected it was something from FCPX/Motion. This solved my problem- I deleted those files and got almost 30 GB back!! A lot for someone with small storage space. 🙂 I usually delete my media/projects once I've exported them but I didn't realize they had cached frames still hanging around- good to know!!

Sep 21, 2016 6:07 PM in response to nat's mac

Hey nat's mac,

Having your drive cleaned of unnecessary file is a great feature of macOS Sierra. I also have many of the same apps installed as what you mentioned.

As far as the files you have mentioned, I can tell you they are the cached rendered frames from either a Final Cut Pro X, or Motion Project.
Generally you can delete them but as soon as you open the project again they will be rendered again.

Hope this helps answer your questions.

Cheers.

Storage- "Frames" taking up space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.