Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't see iphone screen with polarized lenses

Hello everyone! Recently my iphone 6 plus screen was broken so i had to return it to my carrier where i bought it from to have it fixed (under warranty).

After 1 month of wait, i've received my iphone fixed but i've noticed something strange. When my phone is in portrait position, I can't see the screen at all with my Polarized sunglasses on!

Does that mean that the company who fixed my iphone's screen installed a not original apple screen?

Posted on Sep 21, 2016 3:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2017 1:55 PM

So first, to fix your issue, get a tempered glass, it will make the screen visible again although no guarantee that it will be crystal clear.

Now then, why this happens is because of the way that 3rd party screens are designed, all devices with LCD screens have a polarization filter with in them, why this is is because of the way that light works. With out them you wouldn't be able to see the screen at all, it would look black blue white or fuzzy. Polarization works by taking all the rays of light and refracting them to a certain direction. It works well in sun glasses because rather than dimming the light with a dark glass, it refracts away most of the light coming towards your eyes and dims the ones that do come through. However, when your looking at already polarized light with them, if the filters are not polarizing to the same direction of light it will filter out all of the light, hence why it works in landscape. Adding the tempered glass on top refracts the light again in a different direction which is why that fixes the issue. Apple's polarization filters on their screens are different than 3rd party screens, though the difference is so slight, the only time you would ever notice this is with the polarized lenses. Apple and "apple verified repair shops" (which are essentially smaller non apple owned apple stores from what I can tell) are the only places in the world that can get apple original screens, all other repair shops are left to find suppliers of 3rd party screens, eBay, or making their own form 3rd party parts.

So in conclusion, 3rd party screens are made slightly differently, which causes a small issue that ,however annoying, can be fixed fairly easily and cheaply if you look online.

Edit: all screens come from china including apple original screens and all are maid fairly cheaply (screens can cost apple and 3rd party suppliers sometimes less than $10 to make depending on the model) they charge for the demand of the product and the time spent to make it and obviously to make a profit because that is the goal of any company and most individuals, money is a big part of every society.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 27, 2017 1:55 PM in response to Injektil

So first, to fix your issue, get a tempered glass, it will make the screen visible again although no guarantee that it will be crystal clear.

Now then, why this happens is because of the way that 3rd party screens are designed, all devices with LCD screens have a polarization filter with in them, why this is is because of the way that light works. With out them you wouldn't be able to see the screen at all, it would look black blue white or fuzzy. Polarization works by taking all the rays of light and refracting them to a certain direction. It works well in sun glasses because rather than dimming the light with a dark glass, it refracts away most of the light coming towards your eyes and dims the ones that do come through. However, when your looking at already polarized light with them, if the filters are not polarizing to the same direction of light it will filter out all of the light, hence why it works in landscape. Adding the tempered glass on top refracts the light again in a different direction which is why that fixes the issue. Apple's polarization filters on their screens are different than 3rd party screens, though the difference is so slight, the only time you would ever notice this is with the polarized lenses. Apple and "apple verified repair shops" (which are essentially smaller non apple owned apple stores from what I can tell) are the only places in the world that can get apple original screens, all other repair shops are left to find suppliers of 3rd party screens, eBay, or making their own form 3rd party parts.

So in conclusion, 3rd party screens are made slightly differently, which causes a small issue that ,however annoying, can be fixed fairly easily and cheaply if you look online.

Edit: all screens come from china including apple original screens and all are maid fairly cheaply (screens can cost apple and 3rd party suppliers sometimes less than $10 to make depending on the model) they charge for the demand of the product and the time spent to make it and obviously to make a profit because that is the goal of any company and most individuals, money is a big part of every society.

Jul 24, 2017 12:40 PM in response to Injektil

Why does this happen? Most phones have a polarizing filter that helps to cut glare and reflections, ironically to make it easier to see in bright sunlight. The problem is, so do polarized sunglasses. When your phone and sunglass filters are aligned in opposite directions, all the light from your screen is cut out so you can’t see anything. Fortunately, there is a simple solution, rotate your tablet or phone 90 degrees. It’s that simple!

I have an iPhone 7 Plus, original, no replacement parts, and this is how it works me. I heard there was a software update somewhere along the line to improve the polarizing filter in the iPhone, so that's what maybe happened to you.

Jul 24, 2017 3:25 PM in response to kisscover

Every back or side lit LCD display ever made uses a polarizing filter. Without them, letters and graphics would be inherently fuzzy and indistinct. Polarizes are an inherent component of LCD display technology - smart phones, tables, laptops, computer monitors, TVs - if they are a CFT or LED lit LCD panel display, they have a polarizer in the display component sandwich.

Jul 27, 2017 2:28 PM in response to Sinwolf808

While most iphones are assembled in China, only some of their components are actually produced there. Typically iPhone retina displays are by Samsung (a South Korean company but with manufacturing plants in several countries), LG (also South Korea but also with an international manufacturing base) and at least one Japanese display maker.

I also would dospute the claim that all are made cheaply. The Retina display is reportedly one of the costliest components of any iPhone or iPad.

http://www.businessinsider.com/where-iphone-parts-come-from-2016-4

Jul 27, 2017 3:31 PM in response to Michael Black

Huh, well thank you for the insight, I was unaware of them purchasing the LCD screens from Korea and japan. Though I did know that the A9 chip came from Samsung. l was simply sating from my experience in purchasing and making screens, I actually work for a small repair shop in Memphis, where we once made screens in order to save costs from 3rd party suppliers.

Part for part (individualizing the chips from each other) the display is definitely one of the costliest however compared to the rest of the phone together I don't think it quite compares.

I'll be doing some more research into the costs of each component from start to finish though, so thank you for the new knowledge.

Sep 25, 2017 11:07 AM in response to Injektil

I just got a new iPhone 8. It has the same problem in that the display goes very dark if viewing in portrait orientation with polarized sunglasses. Rotating 90 degrees to landscape and the display can be seen in full brightness. My girlfriend’s iPhone 6+ exhibits the identical behavior. *** - my old iPhone 5s was easily viewable in full brightness in portrait orientation.

I went into a Samsung phone store with my polarized sunglasses and the Samsung Galaxy 8 and Note 8 have their polarization rotated about 80 degrees from the iPhone, i.e. in portrait orientation the Samsung phones can be viewed in almost full brightness with polarized sunglasses (100% brightness can be viewed if rotated about 10 degrees off vertical/portrait orientation.

Because I use my phone a lot outside while wearing sunglasses this is a dealbreaker.

Can't see iphone screen with polarized lenses

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.