Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ionodecache: CPU >100% on Sierra

Hi!

I tried to find out, what the process "ionodecache", executed by root is good for, since it uses constantly about 150% of my CPUs since I upgraded to Sierra this morning. I was so brave and killed it via Activity App and it just disappeared, leaving my CPU alone - but it seems to return after a while.

Since the word "cache" is in process name I expect it to cache something like inodes - but which ones? I use HFS+ which does not know inodes like *nix-filesystem ext3 or ext4...

Has anybody an idea what this process is for and what I can do to stop it from heating up my MacBook Pro 15" Retina Late 2013 over and over again?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), macOS Sierra (10.12)

Posted on Sep 21, 2016 7:46 AM

13 replies

Sep 21, 2016 12:38 PM in response to Markus Leder

Hi Markus

This should be a normal part of the overall indexing that Sierra is doing. It will be going through various processing setting up in the background while this goes on. Leave it be.

100% only means 1 core is being used. 4 cores computers could show 400% (more with hyper threading). This is background, leave your computer plugged in while this is going on. It will pause if batteries get low. Resume later, so interrupting it will only make the process longer.

Try to keep your computer cool by making sure air can circulate all around and under the case. Add a fan if needed.

Got a big Photos library? Be prepared to be really worried.

Might take a couple of days to finish everything. Chill, don't worry be 🙂

Hope this helps, Greg

Sep 25, 2016 11:14 PM in response to Markus Leder

Ok, I found the root cause: I had a running process called flexihubd. This process belongs to a solution which allows one to share USB devices with remote computers (http://www.flexihub.com/).

That process is supported by 3 kexts:

• com.eltima.kext.vusb
  • com.eltima.kext.elogger
  • com.eltima.kext.vic

Those kexts have dependencies with I/O Kit registry, with the following class entries:

• EltimaVirtualUSBRoot
  • EltimaPCIBridgeDevice
  • EltimaPCIBridge
  • EltimaVirtualInterruptController

So, I found that ionodecache is not related with inodes, but instead with IO devices (PCI, ...). It outputs (caches) a device tree to a json file at /var/db/ionodecache.json.

That being said, I managed to try update the software, when I noticed that the latest version is only compatible with OS X 10.9-10.11. Well... trashing the app didn't uninstall the daemon nor the kernel extensions, so I disabled it from launchd.

Now, I ionodecache only took 52 seconds of CPU Time in 7 hours of uptime 🙂 fans are sleeping... shhh!

Hope it helps!

Ruben P.

Oct 6, 2016 5:42 PM in response to Markus Leder

Apologize for my absence, I've been offline for the past two weeks. I'm glad I've been able to help you all.

From the Eltima's support team: "To completely uninstall Flexihub from your Mac, you should open the GUI and select 'Uninstall Flexihub...'". Maybe it works the same way with USB Network Gate.

Anyhow, i0n1ca, if you just want to stop the daemon from running without uninstalling the product, you can use launchctl command to do so, or use a great app called LaunchControl. In my case I found a Global Daemon called com.eltima.flexihub.daemon.

In the meantime, Eltima updated the products to add preliminary support for macOS 10.12 Sierra and is now aware of this issue http://blog.eltima.com/2016/09/flexihub-and-usb-network-gate-vs-macos-sierra.htm l

Regards,

Ruben P.

ionodecache: CPU >100% on Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.