Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unlock with Apple Watch Not Working

Hello,

I am running a mid-2013 MacBook Air with macOS Sierra, with a 2nd Gen Apple Watch running watchOS3. I am on the same Apple ID for my Air, Watch, and iPhone (6S).

But, unlock with Apple Watch is not working on my Air. I have enabled 2 Factor Authentication. I have checked the box that enables unlock with Apple Watch. Everything seems to be kosher.

When I close and reopen my Air, "Unlocking with Apple Watch" appears for about 10 seconds, then I have to enter my password.

Help? Thanks!

MacBook Air, macOS Sierra (10.12), null

Posted on Sep 21, 2016 9:21 AM

43 replies

Jul 15, 2017 5:00 AM in response to DLumpee

I was also having this issue on a new 2017 iMac/iPhone 6s/Apple Watch 1. Having restarted all three devices to no avail - I ended up having to reset and re-pair the watch (and turn off / on the setting for 'Allow your Apple Watch to unlock your Mac' setting in System Preferences; If your Apple Watch isn't connected or paired with your iPhone - Apple Support

I was also having issues with Apple Pay at the time - I tried removing/re-adding the card but it kept saying it "could not connect to Apple Watch". Having done the reset/re-pair, this now works also - so it there seemed to be some sort of general communication issue with the watch which the reset/re-pair has resolved.

Apr 30, 2017 12:04 AM in response to DLumpee

I had this problem as well. Don't know why, but after working for a while, it stopped working. To resolve, I simply turned off the option "Allow your Apple Watch to unlock your Mac." Made sure that WiFi was turned on and connected. Then turned the appleWatch option back on. This then prompted me to enter my password. After doing so, it restarted the relevant service. Then put my MBP to sleep and woke it back up. At which point, it detected my watch and automatically unlocked.

Please note that you must have WiFi enabled for this feature to work.

May 20, 2017 10:05 AM in response to DLumpee

I had been using this feature for about a month on my iMac without problems until yesterday when it simply stopped working. It would consistently display "Unlocking with Apple Watch" along with a spinning cursor for several seconds and then give up and just present a password field.

I tried various suggestions from this and another thread (restarting all devices, turning handoff off / restarting / turning handoff on repeated for all three devices, removing a nearby external drive, connecting to the 2.4Ghz band instead of 5Ghzetc.), but nothing worked.

Finally I noticed that on my mac I was signed into iCloud using *.me.com email where on my phone I was signed into iCloud using *.mac.com email address. After logging out of iCloud on my iPhone and then logging back in using the *.me.com version everything worked perfectly again.

I have no idea if this was a fluke or something that might be generally useful. Also it may have been that simply signing out of iCloud on my phone and signing in again was what finally fixed things and changing the .mac iCloud ID on my phone to .me had nothing to do with it. Also FWIW, all three devices (iMac, iPhone, watch) were running the most recent OS versions.

Jun 26, 2017 8:49 PM in response to ragoff

Same here I have tried pairing and unpairing phone, logging in and out of iCloud on both my mac and iPhone. Auto Unlock only works when bluetooth on the iPhone is OFF. If bluetooth on iPhone is ON, the auto unlock feature doesn't work. I hope iOS 11, the new watchOS and macOS resolves this issue. I have talked to AppleCare and they copied the logs from my mac etc... its still an open case and they are trying to if they can resolve it.

Sep 20, 2017 12:41 AM in response to DLumpee

Hi, I had this problem for a few months. My MacBook Pro early 2015 was not unlocking using my Watch.

One day I left my iPhone in the car a couple of times and couldn't be bothered to go to the car park to get it and when I went to open my MacBook lid its started unlocking using my watch again all day long. The next day I remembered my iPhone and it stopped working again. So I turned my iPhone off and tried it again and it worked. So it worked when my iPhone was completely disconnected from my watch by turning my phone OFF. ALSO, I did try just turning Bluetooth OFF on my iPhone and tried it again but for some reason that did not work.

After troubleshooting some more, I figured out that I was trialling the iOS 11 Public Beta on my iPhone, while my Watch was still on the normal WatchOS 3. Today my watch requested an update to Watch OS 4 and my iPhone is on full iOS 11 non-BETA and now the auto unlock works when connected to my iphone.

So, in summary, ensure your iPhone OS and Watch OS are aligned to the latest OS or equivalent versions (either both carrying latest BETA OR non-BETAs).

Nov 8, 2017 1:36 PM in response to DLumpee

I went above and beyond and spent hours on the phone with apple support and at the end they were able to get it working only when created a new mac user on the OS - but not my regular user.

what fixed it at the end is that i needed to sign out from icloud from my user, and sign back in, in that process, it will ask you to re-enter the mac password couple times because its encrypted and mac doesnt have access to it. after re-signing in to my icloud account (which is same as my phone obviously). it worked!

Unlock with Apple Watch Not Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.