Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 7 Rattle Top of Phone

There seems to be an abnormally loud rattle coming from my brand new iPhone 7. I know a certain level of this is normal but this is flat out annoying, when tapping on the screen to type or to tap on apps anything in the top third of the phone screen has this rattle. I followed the rattle around and could only conclude that its from the camera, the reason I upgraded to this phone in the first place.

Is this normal (and absurd) or something I should take it in for?

iPhone 7, iOS 10

Posted on Sep 21, 2016 1:40 PM

19 replies

May 31, 2017 10:52 PM in response to Onemeanhemi

It's the camera lens. It just does this. Other people have stated that their iPhone's have always done this. It's just the way the camera is designed. Mine does it. There is nothing wrong. I just use it.

Sep 26, 2016 12:02 AM in response to GFurm

HI there

I have noticed the same on my iPhone 7 plus.

IF I tap the top of the phone or the base around the home button it rattles like something is loose inside. I've moved from samsung note 4 and never had any issues like this.

Seems other iPhone 7 users are beginning to notice this issue too.

Reply options

Sep 26, 2016 1:57 AM in response to killhippie

HI there

I have noticed the same on my iPhone 7 plus.

IF I tap the top of the phone or the base around the home button it rattles like something is loose inside. I've moved from samsung note 4 and never had any issues like this.

Seems other iPhone 7 users are beginning to notice this issue too.

Reply options

Sep 26, 2016 2:11 AM in response to Irish iPhone 7 plus owner

You cant compare one make of phone against another, build is different. Top rattle is almost always camera I have seen this topic so often in the years I have been on this forum with every new phone release. As to the bottom you have a haptic engine of the iPhone 7 which has moving parts. These things will make noises if you 'tap them' but most people don't because unless your phone is rattling wildly in use there is noting wrong. Best advice, enjoy your phone and don't tap it.

Nov 3, 2016 9:13 AM in response to GFurm

Maybe it's the vibrate motor..my iPhone 7 rattle is VERY loud and noticeable. We need to see where the vibrate motor is because there usually is a small, purposely unbalanced, armature that when spins, will spin like an unbalanced wash machine...in the past that's what it has been.

iPhone 7 Rattle Top of Phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.