Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hiding Photos In Sierra Photos

After updating to Sierra way too many of my photos needed to be identified by name again. Wondering if there is a quick and easy way to hide multiple photos without going through the "Add" function in People?

iMac, iOS 10

Posted on Sep 21, 2016 6:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2016 11:07 PM

As far as I learned here it is not (yet ?) possible. The "add people" function is rather useless, currently, IMHO: you cannot double-click a picture (recognized unnamed face) to see the photo it belongs to. And you cannot hide or even delete something. First you must add it to your list of people: there you can hide it, but you cannot remove it. And if you hide person, all photos with this person won't show up in "Memories".

I wonder why Apple did not make it more simple and put those to-be-named faces directly in the list of people and and the possibility to remove them from there. But maybe they simply did not manage to finish in time, and we will get it with the next bugfix release. So I will wait a bit before deciding on how to hide/remove these unwanted faces. And of course I made a request here: http://www.apple.com/feedback/photos.html 🙂

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2016 11:07 PM in response to mustang153

As far as I learned here it is not (yet ?) possible. The "add people" function is rather useless, currently, IMHO: you cannot double-click a picture (recognized unnamed face) to see the photo it belongs to. And you cannot hide or even delete something. First you must add it to your list of people: there you can hide it, but you cannot remove it. And if you hide person, all photos with this person won't show up in "Memories".

I wonder why Apple did not make it more simple and put those to-be-named faces directly in the list of people and and the possibility to remove them from there. But maybe they simply did not manage to finish in time, and we will get it with the next bugfix release. So I will wait a bit before deciding on how to hide/remove these unwanted faces. And of course I made a request here: http://www.apple.com/feedback/photos.html 🙂

Sep 22, 2016 3:45 AM in response to mustang153

I think that the "add people" function is useful. Imagine to add 100 new photos to your library: I think that is handy to have a page with a list of people belonging to those image which the AI was not able to recognize. Than a human action is required: you just need to choose if you want to group them, give them a name, assign them to a contact or to hide them.

I agree with you that you should be able to hide the contact from that list, instead of adding to the list of people and then hide them.

These actions should be streamlined. It seems that they had not enough time...

Pay attention that if you manually remove unwanted faces on the photos (using the same method that was available under El Capitan), you end in having blank thumbnails under the people album. I have opened a discussion here: Blank thumbnails for people under macOS Sierra

Hiding Photos In Sierra Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.