Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

shutdown taking too long after sierra upgrade - about 20 minutes

After upgrade to macOS sierra, it take about 20-25 minutes to shutdown.

After shutdown or restart command, screen goes blank, lights remain on for keyboard and apple logo.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014)

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), macOS Sierra (10.12)

Posted on Sep 21, 2016 11:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2017 1:59 AM

AAAH!! Finally! You're my hero! I've been struggling with this problem for months now (those months seemed like years, actually). At some point I was too afraid to shutdown or reboot my MacBook because it got me too annoyed. I just couldn't handle the pain anymore. I almost accepted the fact that this problem was never going to be solved and that I should have lived with it until the end of time (yes, that's how pessimistic I got). Today I plannend my final fixing session. If it wouldn't succeed I just had to accept this terrible problem and live in agony, I told myself.

I poured myself a good cup of coffee, put on some music to relieve a bit of stress and started debugging, again. Not much hope was left in me, but after a while I found this topic. Because I had tried a ton of 'solutions' I wasn't very optimistic at first, but when I clicked 'Restart...' after upgrading to MySQL 5.7.17 (from 5.7.13) I felt the adrenaline (or the third cup of coffee) all over my body. The screen faded to black instantly, as usual. Normally the waiting then starts, but now, my friends, my MacBook finally rebooted, and quickly! In the blink of an eye!

The feeling of relief I'm experiencing now is hard to describe, I think this is already the best day of this year. I still can't believe this just happened. Again, thanks so much!

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2017 1:59 AM in response to dgandra

AAAH!! Finally! You're my hero! I've been struggling with this problem for months now (those months seemed like years, actually). At some point I was too afraid to shutdown or reboot my MacBook because it got me too annoyed. I just couldn't handle the pain anymore. I almost accepted the fact that this problem was never going to be solved and that I should have lived with it until the end of time (yes, that's how pessimistic I got). Today I plannend my final fixing session. If it wouldn't succeed I just had to accept this terrible problem and live in agony, I told myself.

I poured myself a good cup of coffee, put on some music to relieve a bit of stress and started debugging, again. Not much hope was left in me, but after a while I found this topic. Because I had tried a ton of 'solutions' I wasn't very optimistic at first, but when I clicked 'Restart...' after upgrading to MySQL 5.7.17 (from 5.7.13) I felt the adrenaline (or the third cup of coffee) all over my body. The screen faded to black instantly, as usual. Normally the waiting then starts, but now, my friends, my MacBook finally rebooted, and quickly! In the blink of an eye!

The feeling of relief I'm experiencing now is hard to describe, I think this is already the best day of this year. I still can't believe this just happened. Again, thanks so much!

May 25, 2017 1:14 AM in response to kazalting

Thanks very much for the inputs. Exactly my feelings. I had been suffering this problem for the last 4 to 5 months since upgrading to Sierra and could not figure out. All the usual Mac tricks of resetting PRAM etc did not work. Yesterday I came upon this support thread and updated my MBA -- the first shutdown was still slow and delayed, after the upgrade with the file mysql-5.7.18macOs10.12-x86_64.dmg -- and kept me wondering till I realised that the previous version was sitting in the RAM. Oh! boy --- was the second shutdown fast !!-- and proved to be a great day !! Today I repeated the same thing for my MacMini and got exactly the same results. Thanks guys.

Sep 28, 2016 12:23 AM in response to manishfromfaridabad

Thank you for sharing the "responsible" of the problem!

My computer wasn't shutting down and I thought it was a problem of another kind with mac OS Sierra. I was even planning a downgrade to El Capitan because it wasn't shutting down no matter if I wait until the next morning.

I'm going to try to search a fix for the problem, at least temporal, until Oracle releases a new version compatible with Sierra.

If I'm able to find one, I'll post it here.

Thank you again!

shutdown taking too long after sierra upgrade - about 20 minutes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.