Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

1440p monitor recognized as 1080p over HDMI

I updated to Sierra yesterday, and now my ASUS PB278 displays in 1080p instead of its native 1440p over HDMI. This monitor worked flawlessly with El Capitan and Yosemite over HDMI.

I also tried connecting it over Thunderbolt with an HDMI adapter and that didn't work either.

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), macOS Sierra (10.12), null

Posted on Sep 22, 2016 12:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2016 3:20 PM

Yup. Exact same issue as you described. Given this + issues with Logitech drivers for my Performance MX Mouse (choppy as heck scrolling), immediately restored back to El Capitan.

Will be holding off upgrade until this issue is fixed.

5 replies

Oct 2, 2016 9:57 AM in response to Substance90

I have this problem too. My ASUS PB278 swivels 90 degrees. Now it doesn't get the highest resolution when I swivel it and change the rotation to 90 degrees in Display Preferences. This is crucial to my professional work, so it's frustrating.

Also, clamshell mode creates havoc, including my MBP freezing after I put it to sleep in order to disconnect the monitor.

All worked great before I updated to Sierra. AppleCare tried but wasn't able to fix any of the problems.

1440p monitor recognized as 1080p over HDMI

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.