Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to delete a "person" album in photos (iOS 10)

Hi,

I want to delete a complete album of a person under People in Photos (iOS 10).

I don't want to hide it, I want to delete it.

It was created by mistake and actually... I tried deleting the only photo that was part of it but now I have an empty album that I can't remove. It says "1" under the number of pics in it, but it is actually blank.

The only thing I can do with it is hide it...

But that is stupid, I just want to delete the album completely.

Any idea ?

Posted on Sep 22, 2016 12:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2017 7:24 PM

To Everybody who is painstakingly trying to find the answer, look no further. Unfortunately, there is no way to delete the people album, but if you want to delete a single person, this is how you do it in just 5 simple steps:

Step 1: Click on the person you want to delete.

Step 2: Click "select".

Step 3: Select all of the photos in the person's page.

Step 4: Press the share icon.

Step 5: Scroll to the side a bit and find "Not this person". Just tap it and you're done!

Please press the helpful button, as this raises the chance of getting this post to the top of the discussion so others can read it. Thanks!

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2017 7:24 PM in response to Thierry Beja

To Everybody who is painstakingly trying to find the answer, look no further. Unfortunately, there is no way to delete the people album, but if you want to delete a single person, this is how you do it in just 5 simple steps:

Step 1: Click on the person you want to delete.

Step 2: Click "select".

Step 3: Select all of the photos in the person's page.

Step 4: Press the share icon.

Step 5: Scroll to the side a bit and find "Not this person". Just tap it and you're done!

Please press the helpful button, as this raises the chance of getting this post to the top of the discussion so others can read it. Thanks!

Aug 3, 2017 3:44 PM in response to Ccha0203

Photos chose faces of cartoon characters from some of my games, the face of a woman who was holding a huge orange cat that reminded me of one I used to have, ( the reason I saved the picture), a cat (not even one of mine!), and the face of a small child who was in an ad on an educational page I saved. People I don't know or who aren't even real! When I tried to delete them I found you can only "hide" them. Like others, I don't want to hide them, I don't want them at all. This feature goes beyond creepy. I am a teacher and I now have a picture of a small child that I don't know in my personal People file. If this continues I'd have a wonderful collection of young children on my iPad--what a great position to put me in. This is not only disturbing but offensive to me as well. Why in the world should Apple decide what I have in a file, AND make it impossible to delete? And "hiding" it makes it even worse. I won't be using Photos anymore until Apple gives me back control of my own device.

Oct 16, 2017 6:21 PM in response to TheInfiniteMonstrosity

I still don't see an answer to the original question. I am also trying to delete a specific "people" album that was automatically included and that I don't want on my MacBook Pro (macOS Sierra v 10.12.6). Is this possible?

I am also interested in knowing if it is possible to create a list view within Photos, similar to what was available in iPhoto.

Nov 29, 2017 10:09 PM in response to TheInfiniteMonstrosity

New apple user here. Always was with Android. Wasted a lot of money to just prove my kids wrong that Android is better than Apple. No idea why people think Apple is so great. Regardless why is the people and places album in use if so many dislike it? What is the purpose from Apples end? From my end it’s a pain to have empty albums show up that I don’t want. Questions for you - why is apple creating duplicate images. They add a photo to a new album and if I delete it. It deletes the photo in two photo albums. Also why is there an all photos and then the same photos in other albums. More duplicates? Really frustrated with this phone. I have not found one pro yet vs all the androids I’ve used in the past. ☹

Sep 23, 2016 2:58 PM in response to Thierry Beja

Hi Thierry Beja,

I understand that you would like to delete an album from your Photos app running the new iOS 10. No problem! You can Manage your albums by using the steps below.

Manage albums. While viewing your album list, tap Edit.
Rename an album: Tap the album name, then enter a new name.
Rearrange albums: Touch to enlarge the album’s thumbnail, then drag it to another location.
Delete an album: Tap the Delete button.
Note: You can’t delete albums that Photos creates for you, such as People, Places, and Selfies.

Organize photos and videos

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities to post your question. This should have that unwanted album deleted in no time!

Have a nice day.

Sep 23, 2016 3:05 PM in response to raina_b22

hi

thank you very much for getting back to me but you are not answering to my question at all.

I want to delete a "people" album

as all people album, it was created automatically by the app.

tthe method you describe is as you say irrelevant for such albums.

as the pictures that were constituting it have been deleted, I don't understand why I should be forced to keep this album.

Again, I don't want to just hide it with my useful but non favorites people album, I want to get rid of it completely

Nov 30, 2016 5:33 AM in response to Thierry Beja

I have the same question and I don't think it was really answered on this thread. If we do both have the same problem then I think Thierry and I can agree that we are not trying to delete the automatically generated "People" album; Instead, we want to remove a person from the People album. Inside the people album there is an "Add People" button. So since the people in the People album can be added by the user there should be a way for the user to remove people from the People album. It looks like once a user adds a person to the People album it is only possible to favorite or hide that person which us a big problem, what if a user added a person by mistake? Hiding the person does not delete them, it only moves them to the bottom of the People album so it is not a solution. How does a user delete a person from the People album? Irina, according to your logic, since the person was not added to the People album by the app it should be possible to delete it but following your instructions does not work.

Dec 8, 2016 1:26 AM in response to i_rina

So how do you hide the whole album? I don't want to see it at all.

And while I'm asking is there a way to go back to a list view for album titles instead of these stupid thumbnails?

Also is there a way to send the automatically generated albums to the bottom of the list so the albums I do like are at the top instead of the auto generated rubbish that I don't want.

how to delete a "person" album in photos (iOS 10)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.