Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

m4v won't play after Sierra update

I have a number of m4v files that will no longer play in quicktime or iTunes after my update to Sierra on both my MacBook Pro and iMac. The audio plays fine however the video freezes on the first few frames. I didn't have any problems with these files previously.

Any suggestions please?

Posted on Sep 22, 2016 2:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2016 10:09 AM

I have a similar issue as well. Some of my m4v files show up as a white page with a folded corner icon. They won't play in anything but VLC player. When I try to play them in iTunes the time doesn't move and it says LIVE. When I move the files to an older OS (El Capitan) they play and look correct.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2016 10:09 AM in response to Jooon

I have a similar issue as well. Some of my m4v files show up as a white page with a folded corner icon. They won't play in anything but VLC player. When I try to play them in iTunes the time doesn't move and it says LIVE. When I move the files to an older OS (El Capitan) they play and look correct.

Sep 27, 2016 9:06 PM in response to Jooon

Same problem here. Here is what I have found so far.

m4v files are now capable of storing the original DTS soundtrack. So if the encoded m4v file contains only AAC and AC3 soundtrack, the file is recognised by iTunes and QT and will play file. However, if you are an enthusiast and retain the original DTS soundtrack along with AAC and AC3 in your m4v file, it will behave as indicated by Sastei and shall not be recognised. Why retain the original DTS soundtrack - future proofing since DTS is encoded to a higher bit rate and my encoding SW only allows upto 640 kbps on AAC and AC3 soundtracks (ST).

Now, before Sierra, other OsX had no issues with m4v files containing original DTS ST, but Sierra has an issue. I raised this as a problem while I was running beta versions of Sierra, but Apple has not gotten to it yet and I don't know if they will.

You may try to see if the m4v files you have that are not recognised by iTunes / QT have a similar DTS ST problem. If yes, you may re-encode these files by removing DTS ST using Subler. Not ideal solution, but works for now.

In my case, I would rather wait on Apple to fix it than lose my DTS STs.

Oct 8, 2016 12:11 PM in response to Piyush Rajput

Hi,

the same issues as you mentioned with DTS tracks. Once there is a MP3-track included iTunes and Quicktime don't play them since Sierra, while VLC plays them without any problems. It's no big deal for me, I just convert the tracks I need in another format, I just wanted to let you know that there are also issues with other sound formats than DTS 🙂

m4v won't play after Sierra update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.