Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS Sierra bricked my iMac

So yesterday my 2014 imac prompted me to install MacOS Sierra, which I did, leaving it installing at 5.30 when I left work with approx 33 mins remaining.

I Come into work this morning to be greeted with the following screen:

User uploaded file

I've tried turning it off and on and trying to boot in safe mode by holding shift when turning on, but nothing makes a difference, this comes up as soon as I turn it on and nothing makes it go away? It's flickering but not moving and nothing seems to make it respond.

Desperate for any suggestions!

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12)

Posted on Sep 22, 2016 2:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2016 2:32 AM

This looks like hardware issue for me. Try to reset SMC settings and NVRAM

Reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

36 replies

Sep 22, 2016 3:01 AM in response to LucoBrasi

ok, so both of those things have now been done. The computer itself is clearly booting up, because this time I could see the cursor was blinking for me to put my password in, which I did and pressed enter. Then I could tell from the colours and flashing that it was loading up my desktop. However it still looks like this so I can't actually do anything or see what to do?

User uploaded file

literally sat here unable to work, so Frustrating!

any further ideas anyone?

Sep 22, 2016 3:28 AM in response to Njofrekk

good idea! i had a second monitor connected and it wouldnt load to start with so I disconnected it in case that was causing the problem. Now I've just connected it up again after I've managed to log in and that displays fine, with my iMac screen still having lines all over.

SO should I try installing Sierra again? Can I roll back to El Capitan? What's the best way forward?

Sep 22, 2016 8:27 AM in response to Njofrekk

OK, so I eventually managed to re-download Sierra and reinstall it. Sat here watching to see if there were any clues, but nothing out of the ordinary happened, it installed, restarted and then the lines just didn't go away.

This really is so frustrating. Next step I guess is to re install El Capitan?

but what I don't understand is why this has happened? I have a 2014 iMac, no modifications, always runs fine. I've installed other updates with no problem. But i can't find anyone else having the same problem so it's not a common thing?

Sep 22, 2016 8:47 AM in response to Loner T

It boots fine, I've got a second monitor connected now and set to mirror so I can use the computer aspect of it on the second mon and the OS itself is working fine, but the display on the imac screen itself just permanantley has these horizontal bars running up and down so I can't see anything on the screen, so presumably it's some sort of driver issue?

MacOS Sierra bricked my iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.