Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone se sim not supported

Hello,

My girlfriend and I bought an iphone se in the United States a few weeks ago. We live in the Netherlands so we asked for the correct model (A1723) and a sim free phone so it should work on our carriers. We didnt have a nano simcard from our carriers at the time so they unlocked the phone with a sprint card (no contract). Now we're back in the Netherlands and we tried out our new simcard and we get the error "Sim not Supported". It's almost as if the phone is not sim free. We called apple support in the US and we were talking for more than an hour and he couldn't figure out the problem. According to him the phone was unlocked.

We also called our carrier (simyo) daughter company of KPN and they said everything was ok on their end, the problem lies with apple. So we're really stuck here and I don't know what the problem is. Can someone assure me the phone is unlocked because I'm still not convinced. And in that case, what am I supposed to do because the lady who helped us told us it was sim free...

Thanks in advance.

Ruud

iPhone SE, iOS 10, Everything is up to date

Posted on Sep 22, 2016 7:05 AM

10 replies

Sep 22, 2016 7:12 AM in response to RV1987

Sprint phones have the sim slot locked and Sprint will not unlock the slot. You can only use a Sprint phone on a Sprint network. Your phone will not work in the Netherlands.

A Verizon phone has the sim slot unlocked and will work in the Netherlands. I have a Verizon phone and I use the phone with no issues in Europe by installing the proper sim.

Sep 22, 2016 7:55 AM in response to RV1987

RV1987 wrote:

Hello,

We live in the Netherlands so we asked for the correct model (A1723) and a sim free phone so it should work on our carriers.

Sim Free does not mean unlocked. It simply means it does not have a sim card included, but may be locked to a carrier regardless.

RV1987 wrote:

Hello,

We didnt have a nano simcard from our carriers at the time so they unlocked the phone with a sprint card

That makes no sense.

An unlocked iPhone is unlocked. It does not need to be unlocked with any type of Sim Card, and Apple does not unlock them if they are unlocked.

You probably got an iPhone that was locked to Sprint, and what was done was to activate it using a Sprint sim card.

Sprint is the only one that can unlock the iPhone if its locked to them. You can try to contact them and see if they will agree to unlock it for you. But generally you need to be a customer of them for them to unlock it.

https://www.sprint.com/legal/unlocking_policy.html

Whoever told you it was unlocked, was mistaken. Sadly this is a common mistake and is one of the major reasons you should only buy iPhones in the country you intend to use them.

Sep 22, 2016 7:25 AM in response to RV1987

You should not feel duped. It very very unlikely it was done intentionally.

A few people made mistakes. Take it as a learning experience.

Buy local, or test with more than one sim card, and obviously one that is not from the carrier it was from.

If less than 14 days have passed since you bought it, and you have someone in the U.S. you can ship the iPhone to, they can return it to Apple for a full refund no questions asked.

Sep 22, 2016 8:02 AM in response to Phil0124

So we just tried a few other sim cards without any luck so that's defintely not the problem.

Yeah we know it wasn't done intentionally and the apple support has been very friendly, it's just a big hassle.

We also called sprint and the lady told us that if there's no sprint logo at the start up on the phone than its not locked to sprint. But I still think the phone thinks it's locked to sprint. So we're going to call the apple store in San Fransico again in a few hours and if they cannot get it unlocked then it seems as if we're going to have to send it back. It has been 11 days since we purchased it but it will take a few days to get to the states. Will that be a problem?

Thanks for the help by the way.

Ruud

By the way is it possible that there's a regional lock on it? Like i've heard people having to use the phone for 5 minutes before they can use it abroad.

Sep 22, 2016 8:10 AM in response to RV1987

The person you spoke to at Sprint didn't know what they were talking about. iPhones never have any carrier branding on them or on startup.

I'm guessing this came about due to a misunderstanding because of the specific model phone you asked for. This is fairly common when people are attempting to buy phones for use outside of the US in the US. They go for the Sprint phone because of the LTE band support. Sprint phones are not unlocked. If it was activated in Store with a Sprint SIM, it is locked to Sprint. Only Sprint can remove the activation lock and they can not do so if it is not actively connected to the Sprint network.

You're not going to be able to use that phone until and unless you can straighten this out with Sprint. You can try calling AppleCare, but it's probable that they will not be able to do anything about it at this point.

Sep 22, 2016 8:11 AM in response to RV1987

I've heard of phones that are unlocked internationally, but not domestically, so that should not apply to you. That meant they could be used internationally, but not in the US. You will not be able to return the device to Apple by shipping it directly to them. They will not accept that. You would have to do as Phil suggested if you have a friend or relative in the US you can ship it to for returns However, as you said, time is of the essence here.

iphone se sim not supported

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.