Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS Default Keyboard Causes Apps to Freeze on 7 Plus

The soft keyboard seems to cause random app freezes. This is the APPLE keyboard. The freezes seem to occur most frequently in predictive text or autocorrect scenarios. It also occurs when moving the text selector around. Also, the same app / word combinations seem to trigger the freeze repeatedly. The easiest trigger is hashtags in facebook. Also, when typing item 4 below, the freeze occurred after erasing an accidental space after the word "effective" Here's what I've tried:

1: Turned off predictive text.

2: Recovered backup to my 6s Plus and the problem did not persist.

3: reset and recovered my 7s Plus again and the problem did persist.

4: writing notes in Evernote and pasting them into text fields on other apps. This workaround prevents me from losing text previously entered, but doesn't prevent the freeze.

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 10

Posted on Sep 22, 2016 10:51 AM

17 replies

Jun 12, 2017 1:55 AM in response to The Real Zam

Have you connected your Mail to an outside mailbox, or you frequently receive meeting invitations from emails?

Go to General-Calendar-Accounts and turn off all Calendars options. I have at least dozens of people who had the same issue in my company because of this problem. Finally someone figured out this is probably because of the sender of invitations is "untraceable". At least it worked for me after I tried numerous other methods without any use and reset my phone for dozens of times.

Yes I work in an IT company...

Sep 24, 2016 11:51 AM in response to The Real Zam

I have a very similar problem. It's reproducible even after power off or hard reset (power and home button together).

For example I found today that it happened all the time when I tried to type "Otley" in a text message. The keyboard froze as soon as that word was typed. Normal service was resumed after I close the app.

I have tried the reset dictionary option with no benefit.

I'm on an SE iPhone with 10.5.2

Sep 24, 2016 1:25 PM in response to The Real Zam

I have almost the exact same issue. I have posted this problem in the Developer forums as well.

It happens in all apps. Notice it most in Messages. I can sometimes type a sentence or two and then it completely freezes. I have to double tap home and force close the app and then restart. Sometimes my previously entered text is there, sometimes it is not. I thought it was a Messages issue, but I have had it happen in Mail, Notes and even tried just entering a long string of text in the search field on Safari. It will freeze.

This started happening some time back on iOS 10 betas and has stuck all the way through to the new 10.1 beta. I have restored my phone from back up as well as restored and set up as new, but the issue creeps back in.

Before, I thought maybe because I had SwiftKey installed it was causing issues. I got rid of it and on last restore didnt even install it. Still have issues.

Ironically, SwiftKey works awesome without and freezing whatsoever. This is getting very frustrating as it has happened through a few firmware updates, as well as on an iPhone 6s Plus and now the new iPhone 7 Plus.

I cannot find much of anything that I have not tried. Just wondering if anyone else is as annoyed as me.

Sep 27, 2016 12:51 PM in response to The Real Zam

I also have been having this problem. It freezes when I am typing and delete out a word. I have the iPhone 7 Plus and am running iOS 10.2. It happens most often in Messages, but have seen it also happen on Facebook.

I turned off both Auto-Correction and Check Spelling in Keyboards under General. It seems to have fixed the problem. I really hope Apple can fix this issue because I rely on both of these features.

Sep 28, 2016 10:00 AM in response to The Real Zam

Hello,

i have the same issue also at all my iOS devises.

I have one iPhone 6s, iPhone 5 s and a iPad Air...

all with same issue after upgrade to 10.01 and 10.0.2

I had try to reset and reinstall them, did not help

I use iOS 10.0.2

It start to be very troublesome... I need to use Notes to write, then copy/past to th application I want write in. .

It hangs in notes also, but when restart the app, it keep the last writing... so I do not need star over every time

Hope someone come up with an solution soon!!

Oct 6, 2016 12:08 AM in response to rayfrommilton

I am having exactly the same problem with a new Iphone 7 freezing by text input of all types. I dont understand why Apple doesnt post a notice about this as it is an extremely important function that is failing on their new phone. I had to use a few filter options before I could even find that others were having this problem. I think apple suppresses some searches like iphone 7 problems or iphone 7 /ios 10 text freezing because you end up getting strange results. I filtered for the last 7 days and finally found some threads about this problem. This has to be affecting millions or are we just the lucky ones???

Oct 18, 2016 1:59 PM in response to Webbar

Here is an update of this bug from Apple.

"Thank you for contacting us.

The original report on this issue, Bug ID xxxxxxxx, is still under investigation. We will notify you when it is closed. The issue may not be resolved until the next major release of iOS.

Please note that you will not be able to directly view the original report in order to keep its information confidential.

We will do our best to keep you informed as new information becomes available. Please check release notes regularly for changes affecting this issue.

If you have further questions about this issue or wish to check on the status, please update your report again using the Apple Bug Reporter"

Oct 20, 2016 12:30 AM in response to The Real Zam

Hello all: I also have this problem on my 6+. It seems to be an issue with the keyboard in the new iOS, as others have noted. I simply switched over to Gboard (which is Google's keyboard) and deleted the "english" keyboard that comes standard with the phone. You can do this in Settings>General>Keyboard>Keyboards>Add New Keyboard. First you'll need to download Gboard from the app store. Then you should see that as an option under Third-Party Keyboards in the Add New Keyboard menu. Hope this helps you with this ridiculously frustrating issue!

Nov 16, 2016 9:17 AM in response to rayfrommilton

Hi, it happens with me as well, with my new iphone 7 plus that I bought a week ago! tried everything the support team asked, and the latest call today they told me to take back to the store to replace the device...I tried one more thing which is to reset the keyboards...so far (couple of hours) no issue...let´s see

It is a very annoying issue because without the keyboard this is just an ordinary phone!

iOS Default Keyboard Causes Apps to Freeze on 7 Plus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.