Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6s - iOS 10 - Phone app crashes/freezes

Hi,

Has anyone else seen freezing on the 6s after upgrading to iOS 10? I get this in the Phone app mostly, if it is run fresh it works as expected. If I click to the home screen or lock the device the app freezes next time I use it. I am not able to select any section(Favorites, Recents etc) and nothing responds by tapping or even force touch stuff. If I click home it will go to the home screen with no issues, but going back intto the Phone app has the same issues. If I double click and swipe it closed then re-open it the app works fine again. I have tried restarting my phone with no improvement. I would prefer not to have to do a full reset on it...

Maybe it is a random bug that will be fixed in the next release, I don't use the phone that often so I can live with it for now if needed. But it is kind of annoying.

Thanks,

Brian

iPhone 6s, iOS 10

Posted on Sep 22, 2016 11:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2017 8:23 AM

Same problem, on iOS10.2.1. Dialer app freezes temporarily when making calls, causing me to have to redial several times. Very annoying and makes 6s unreliable.

I have to sync with work's Exchange server, so deleting non-Apple accounts is not an option. Reverting back to 9.x is also not an option.

For now, I've installed an alternate dialer app (Simple Dialer) and will see if this helps.

Seriously Apple... not good. Not good.

75 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 20, 2017 8:23 AM in response to bellefso

Same problem, on iOS10.2.1. Dialer app freezes temporarily when making calls, causing me to have to redial several times. Very annoying and makes 6s unreliable.

I have to sync with work's Exchange server, so deleting non-Apple accounts is not an option. Reverting back to 9.x is also not an option.

For now, I've installed an alternate dialer app (Simple Dialer) and will see if this helps.

Seriously Apple... not good. Not good.

Apr 3, 2017 12:19 PM in response to bellefso

The Apple level 2 or 3 tech just disconnected from our call. I assume this since she didn't try to call me back. I have done everything under the sun to resolve this issue. They are saying my back up is corrupted. If that is the case than ios 10 did it because I didn't have any trouble before 10. Has anyone upgraded to the 7 and this issue resolved itself? My phone is my lifeline for my business and I cannot continue to have these issues. Please please let me know. Thanks! Heather

Oct 18, 2016 1:30 PM in response to bellefso

I have the same problem as you describe. Wondering if it's a carrier issue. I'm on Verizon. Nothing seems to fix it but closing the app and refreshing it. Even then, if I change from Recent Calls to Voicemail, it freezes. I've seen a visual voicemail error that says, "Visual Voicemail isn't available." I can't listen to a voicemail if the internet connectivity wheel is spinning. Doesn't matter if it is Verizon LTE or wifi. The voicemail will simply close and be marked as new. If I am on Contacts, it will freeze and not scroll. Because of the internet connectivity issue, I was wondering if it might be a priority process problem in the os (i.e. the os is putting background connectivity as a priority for the processor over user commands in the interface) or if it is unique to the carrier's internet vs wifi connection priority process.

Oct 18, 2016 1:40 PM in response to karabecht

I am still having the issue, however I have Sprint. I did notice that it freezes less frequently since the 10.0.2 update a few weeks back. It did not fix the issue entirely but it did make it happen alot less frequently. In my case I am not sure if WiFi factors into it, I have disabled the WiFi calling. Maybe future updates will help, I read there is a new update coming to fix some Verizon issues for iPhone 7.

Oct 18, 2016 1:50 PM in response to bellefso

I opened a ticket with apple....no help, went to the apple store......no help

I got the usual "there is no problem" "apple doesn't have bugs like this" "these aren't the droids you're looking for" "apple is wonderful and have a nice day"

My ONLY option was to go back to 9.3.5 if I wanted a telephone I could depend on in a emergency ( of course apple hates that because there's less opportunity to spend money with them in the older code). I did it this weekend anyway

( actually it was pretty easy ) and surprise the problem went away, my phone works perfectly now. lesson learned, ignore the red dot and DO NOT upgrade unless you have to because apple NEVER admits a problem.

iPhone 6s - iOS 10 - Phone app crashes/freezes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.