Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail attachments disappeared with Sierra

After upgrading to Sierra, for all my encrypted emails (mime) the attachments disappeared.

I do not see anything just a question mark instead of the attachment in each email.

With a backup I reimported a second time the mails but it hasn't changed anything.

Is ti a Sierra bug ? How to solve it ?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Sep 22, 2016 1:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2016 8:51 AM

More information:

I opened one email with an attachment directly copied from my El Capitan backup and opened it in Sierra Mail app by doublecliking. It was working perfectly the attachment was visible.

I searched the same email in Sierra Mail App and the attachment was not anymore readable (just a question mark appears instead).

Conclusion: I thing that, while importing mailboxes, sierra mail is corrupting a part of the emails (.emlx) which are after import not anymore readable !

137 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2016 8:51 AM in response to pedro ramon

More information:

I opened one email with an attachment directly copied from my El Capitan backup and opened it in Sierra Mail app by doublecliking. It was working perfectly the attachment was visible.

I searched the same email in Sierra Mail App and the attachment was not anymore readable (just a question mark appears instead).

Conclusion: I thing that, while importing mailboxes, sierra mail is corrupting a part of the emails (.emlx) which are after import not anymore readable !

Sep 27, 2016 5:04 AM in response to pedro ramon

I have too this issue, there's a workaround, not a definitive one, but if you drag the mail on your desktop and double click the attachment, it opens; strange but true, I've tried to send a message from a second account I've configured in mail, the sent one is fine, the received is locked, more strange is that if you search for the attachment and open it with spotlight, it works ... a mail bug for sure, the message is not corrupted. We all are waiting for a quick fix

Sep 27, 2016 9:18 AM in response to pedro ramon

Yet another possible bug, just discovered this evening; at first, seen that attachment were apparently gone, i thought of a lack of permissions due to conversion from old mail directory, then launched a rebuild on all mail boxes, now I see that al least two messages have gone, pretty sure that I have not deleted for mistake, may be a coincidence, but these are the very first messages received with sierra, and belong to my second account, they are not s/mime messages: it would be a great idea to not mess with mail until next upgrade.

N.B: Just now finished to upgrade a spare partition loaded with my El Capitan backup, in the same mailbox, old messages are perfectly visible, the new, received with Sierra, are not.

Oct 5, 2016 9:38 AM in response to slaw425

I just got off the telephone with Apple technical support. A senior technical support advisor searched the database and came up with NO INFORMATION about this problem. I was told to submit information about it via apple.com/feedback/. I was also told that if we want the problem fixed anytime soon, lots of people need to submit information via feedback. After I write my feedback text I will post it here so that others can copy and paste it if they wish.

Oct 5, 2016 12:08 PM in response to Fred Hyden

I wrote a detailed feedback but couldn't submit it because of the limit on the number of characters permitted. Here is what I was able to submit.

With Sierra, an attachment in an encrypted email won’t open. The very same email opens correctly in iOS and Windows 10.

If the attachment is saved, it can’t then be opened and is reported to be damaged.

Workarounds…

If an encrypted email with an attachment is dragged to the desktop (creating a .eml file), double clicking opens the email and the attachment correctly.

If Spotlight Search is used to find an encrypted email, the email and the attachment open correctly.

To reproduce, send an encrypted email with an attachment and then attempt to view the email in the Sent folder. The attachment does not open.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7678885

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7686930

Mail attachments disappeared with Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.