Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

icloud hangs on sign in to windows 10

Hello and thank you,

I am an IT person who works mostly with Windows 🙂 I support people who use MS Outlook on their PC and also have an iPhone. Many of these people like to use iCloud to sync their calendars, contacts and email.

I support several people who use iCloud with MS Outlook 2016 on their Windows 10 PCs. It works well.

I now have a client who wants to use iCloud on his laptop. The laptop is running Windows 10 Pro (not the new 1607 or w/e build from this past month). I appear to install iCloud Control Panel for Windows successfully (current version from the download site). However, when logging in, I get the ever-spinning circle of death. Here are some things I have tried:

Installed the current version, restarted, Outlook not running, etc.

Booted in 'clean boot' with no non-Microsoft programs running. Rinse and repeat above.

While in clean boot, install version 4.1.1.53 instead of 6.0.x.x we are currently on. Same result.

I can login online fine using the same credentials I am using for making this post.

Shut off the firewall. Disabled everything I could think of. Tried both options again with lots of restarting. No luck.

User is a member of the Local Administrators Group, and I have run everything as Administrator just to make sure.

I have uninstalled each version (when trying a new iteration) using the Control Panel Add/Remove programs feature.

This is a new laptop, but just to let you know, no malware issues based on a couple of scans. Also, no other issues observed.

Any ideas? Again, Thanks!

Lenovo PC-OTHER, Windows 10

Posted on Sep 22, 2016 2:18 PM

8 replies

Mar 21, 2017 8:39 PM in response to MBSH6921

I am in IT and many years of experience. I think it is a communication issue with Apple. I used a port monitor tool and notice comms between iCloud app and Apple as soon as I tried to sign-in on the iCloud app in Windows 10 Pro (gsas.apple.com.akadns.net). I suspect the problem is the iCloud app does not know how to handle an unknown error when trying to communicate with Apple. Maybe their servers were down, bad connections, denial of service attacks or lots of bugs in their latest release. I turned-off the firewall and verified the ports. So something is happening between them, but are clearly stuck; on a bug of some sort. I am disappointed some of these posts were from a month-ago. :-(

Mar 25, 2017 4:13 PM in response to cnaxw0

After not being able to update the iCloud desktop application, whose icon is in the Windows 10 notification area, I was able to update after uninstalling all Apple applications and reinstalling. However, when I opened the application the first time, I was asked to log in through the iCloud desktop application, and after entering my password the activity spinner would spin, and the login would not complete. I tried changing my password, then tried logging into iCloud via the web application first, rebooting in between attempts. At the moment, the desktop application seems to have logged in normally, so I think it is a login bug. I use two-factor authentication, and suspect it may be blocking the desktop application from logging in, in some conditions.

Oct 13, 2016 1:20 PM in response to MBSH6921

After much frustration, and a never ending circle of death, I asked for help from my husband on this issue. Confirmed using most recent version of iCloud was installed. Went to Task Manager and "end task" on all items indicating Apple or iTunes or iCloud. Then went back to the program and tried to open it and sign on again. The spinning circle is gone!!! Woo hoo - Success. Please consider trying this and hopefully it will work for you.

icloud hangs on sign in to windows 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.