Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I teach Siri a new word..

How do you teach Siri a new word? I would like to use Siri to dial a number for me, but she can't understand the name I'm giving her. I say 'Siri, cal the Winterthur office' and she interprets it as 'winter there' or 'winter third' .. she never understands the word and I can't see an easy way to get her to understand the name. Any help?

iPhone 6s, iOS 10

Posted on Sep 22, 2016 2:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2016 3:23 PM

Hi, I've had similar problems. If you go to the General menu, then accessibility>speech>pronunciations you will find a recorder to tell siri how to pronounce words. You need to type the word, and then use the microphone to record what the word is and how it sounds. Hopefully this will help you solve the problem.

9 replies

Jan 1, 2018 6:57 AM in response to NeoSentry

Found the answer 🙂🙂🙂

Save the word as a contact

This has worked every time for me, but...

If Siri still does not understand the word, this is what I would do:

1. Go to the contact
  2. Press Edit on the top right
  3. Scroll down to the Add field link in blue
  4. Choose Phonetic first name
  5. Scroll back up to the top and the field is now between 'First name' and 'Last name'
  6. Type in the words that Siri says when you say it

And if Siri still does not understand the word:

1. Ask Siri again about the word you've saved as a contact
  2. Note down what Siri thinks you are saying and add those words to the contact's phonetic name in step 6

Enjoy!

Sep 29, 2017 3:58 PM in response to NeoSentry

Dude that was a helluva good comeback! Haha.

I was actually looking up a similar question and saw the response that yours got and felt the exact same way… But I had to laugh at the "ice cream has no bones". I have since figured out the issue that we were both having if you still need the advice a year later. Just had to give you props on that comment...

Sep 22, 2016 2:45 PM in response to NeoSentry

If Siri isn't available, or doesn't understand or respond to questions

Before you try these steps, make sure that your device works with Siri. After each step, see if Siri is working.

1. Make sure that your iOS device has an Internet connection through Wi-Fi or cellular data.
  2. On your iOS device, make sure that Siri is turned on under Settings > General > Siri.
  3. Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
  4. On your iOS device, go to Settings > General > Siri and turn off Siri. Then turn it on again.
  5. If you're using an iOS device, try to use Siri with a headset. If Siri only works when you're using a headset, get help with the microphones on your device.
  6. Contact Apple Support.

Use Siri on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

I have found that Siri pays attention the better I enunciate words.

How do I teach Siri a new word..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.