Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GarageBand '11 on Sierra

I'm wondering if others have successfully used GarageBand '11 on Sierra. While the application seems to run, insofar as I can open, edit and play projects — graphics within the project seem to be a mess. Track regions and loops aren't drawn correctly with the "bubbles" appearing as outlines and the text within each track being fuzzy and severely reduced in size. Has anyone else encountered similar problems?

(Note — I do have and occasionally use GarageBand 10.x but still used GB '11 for certain projects)

iMac and MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.6), 20th Anniversary Mac, 128K Mac, original Apple II

Posted on Sep 22, 2016 6:33 PM

14 replies

Sep 23, 2016 9:35 AM in response to John Purlia

graphics within the project seem to be a mess. Track regions and loops aren't drawn correctly with the "bubbles" appearing as outlines and the text within each track being fuzzy and severely reduced in size. Has anyone else encountered similar problems?

Could you post a screenshot? When I launch GarageBand '11, version 6.0.5 the graphics looks normal to me. Which "bubbles" are you referring to?

Sep 23, 2016 9:36 AM in response to WKR13

The latest version of GB is indeed 10.1.2, which works fine. My question is about the previous major version which is commonly referred to as "GarageBand '11" (a reference Apple made to to the year it was released), though the actual version number is 6.0.5. There are certain aspects of that version that are, for me, preferred to the current version, so I have some projects on the new version, and other projects on the old version.

Sep 23, 2016 10:06 AM in response to John Purlia

All your tracks seem to be Audio tracks? I am mostly using midi tracks, and there the regions are looking as usual.

But the real instrument regions are also looking fine:

User uploaded file

But I am not having as many tracks in my GarageBand projects as you. If you create small test project, with only a few tracks, are the audio regions back to normal?

If not, try to trash the GarageBand preferences.

Usually problems with the graphical user interface are caused by broken preferences files.

Try HangTime's "oddball probs" fix and trash the GarageBand preferences file - move com.apple.garageband.plist from the Preferences folder in your user library to the Desktop.

See the FAQ:http://www.bulletsandbones.com/GB/GBFAQ.html#oddballprobs(Let the page FULLY load. The link to your answer is at the top of your screen).

For GarageBand '11 the preferences are stored in ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.garageband.plist

/You user library may still be hidden, as is the default: To make it visible in Sierra:

• Quit GarageBand .
  • Select the "Home" folder icon (the little house) in the Finder's sidebar and press the key combination ⌘J to open the "view options". Enable "Show Library Folder".

User uploaded file

Then open the Home folder and open the Library folder inside and navigate to Preferences.

Sep 23, 2016 10:26 AM in response to léonie

There's a fairly wide range of different type of tracks — midi, real instruments, sound clips, etc. In this project, about 120 total. I tried creating a small project as suggested, but immediately see the misdrawn regions upon adding the first loop. Same issue after trashing preference.

Since you're seeing success in rendering the regions, I'm going to assume there's some other conflict specific to my setup, and the problem is not necessarily within either GarageBand or Sierra.

How about the audio units? Are you able to open AUPeakLimiter without problems?

Thanks!

Sep 23, 2016 3:34 PM in response to léonie

I was able to track down the graphic anomaly to a bad preference file in my user account — though not a GarageBand or iLife file. Unfortunately, I'm not able to identify exactly which file caused the problem, but it was definitely one of the com.apple.x.x preference files that cleaned itself up after several hours of slowly rebuilding the entire Preferences folder.

Still having the issue with AUPeakLimiter, but hopefully I can use a similar process to identify the problem.

GarageBand '11 on Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.