Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with trackpad on Mac OS Sierra

After upgrading my trackpad is not working as smooth as it used to in El Capitan. Now it scrolls way too fast on some applications and slow and not smoothly on google chrome. There is no way to fix this on the accessibility menu with the trackpad speed. I hope you look into it fast, it is very annoying.

MacBook Pro, iOS 10

Posted on Sep 22, 2016 6:40 PM

63 replies

Apr 21, 2017 6:23 PM in response to cmalott

This worked perfectly. Went from a HORRIBLE experience with the trackpad (basically impossible to perform gestures, terrible scrolling etc..), to a perfect feeling smooth working trackpad. Definitely try this if you're experiencing the issue - Thanks cmalott for locating this -- Very unfortunate that Apple will not immediately patch stuff like this, that is obviously software related... Makes me never want to update again. Thought I traded my trackpad for Siri functionality until I found this fix..... Thanks again Cmalott

Jun 8, 2017 8:08 PM in response to leandrob13

My mouse was flickering and could not be moved with the trackpad (no external mouse in use). My applications were also flickering and the desktop was sliding back and forth to the Widgets view. I basically couldn't use the machine at all. But, it is resolved now. I booted to Safe Mode and added an external mouse (since the problem persisted in Safe Mode). Here's what I did:

1. Boot in Safe Mode (restart or shutdown and start and immediately hold down a Shift button for the duration of the boot process - this may take a while)

2. Go to System Preferences > Accessibility > Mouse & Trackpad

- Select Trackpad Options...

- Uncheck Scrolling

3. Uncheck 'Ignore built-in trackpad when...' - make sure you have an external mouse attached 😀

4. Reboot the machine & test your trackpad.

If successful, you'll need to go back to Select Trackpad Options and recheck Scrolling. I left the 'Ignore' option unchecked.

HTH!

Aug 20, 2017 11:21 AM in response to leandrob13

My laptop built-in trackpad does not respond i.e. does not respond to touch at all. After looking through multiple sites and support discussion it still doesn’t respond. Here is what I have done so far:

Booted into SAFE Mode and toggled the “Scroll” option in the Accessibility —> Mouse & Track Pad —> Trackpad Options
 on and off with & without restarting. I did this also not in safe mode with & with out restarting in between.

Checked to make sure that the “Ignore built-in trackpad when mouse and wireless trackpad is present” option is deflected. I tried selecting restarting and deselecting and the same process backwards with restarts in between.

Reset PRAM /NVRAM and SMC multiple times with no luck.

Ran Diagnostic and no issues popped up. According to the System Report the USB sees the trackpad with no issues. I got it work once after going into SAFE mode and restarting normally but the trackpad again stopped responding for no reason.

Also tried reinstalling update 10.12.6 and Sierra altogether with no luck.

I think I've tried all the fixes listed on this thread with no success.

Macbook Pro - Retina 13", Mid 2014 - Sierra 10.12.6

Very confused on the issue. I suspect it is a software issue and related to my update to Sierra. Any info is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Sep 23, 2016 10:45 AM in response to leandrob13

After installing Sierra, 2 finger scrolling no longer worked. I went into Accessibility and went into trackpad options and turned on scrolling. It worked for a day then suddenly stopped again. I restarted Air several times and also turned on and off option for scrolling at the same time. Several times during this the pointer disappeared on the startup screen so had to restart to make it appear.

Also, during this same time of restarting, I could no longer double click any apps or folders on my desktop to open. I could still open them using "command O"

I was able to open them by changing the speed of the double-click in Accessibility by making it much slower.

Also, I played around with the "enable dragging" but needed it to be turned off to avoid the jumping.

Sep 24, 2016 9:58 AM in response to leandrob13

I got my problem fixed. I had been going into the Trackpad and toggling scrolling on and off to no avail. This time I went into Accessibility. Then Click on Mouse and Trackpad. Now click on Trackpad Options. The scrolling box is most likely highlighted already. Toggle it off and then back on and see if that fixes it - it did for me. Now go back to the Trackpad in System Preferences and make sure you have everything selected as desired.

Hope this helps you.

Problem with trackpad on Mac OS Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.