Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Sierra / Numbers 4.0: Problem with saving on a Synology via AFP

up vote0down votefavorite

I updated my Mac to 10.12 Sierra and updated Pages, Numbers and Keynote afterwards to the latest versions.

So far so good, everything running normal.

But unfortunately saving a Numbers file via AFP on a local Synology NAS (DS1815+, latest DSM) caused the application to crash and kicked all connections to shared folders.

Saving on the local HDD is no problem at all.

Then I tried to figure out whether thats a single problem with AFP and killed the AFP file service on the NAS to only start the SMB2 service.

No problem to save on the NAS via SMB.

I tried to save a numbers document on the NAS via AFP from another Mac. This time with an older version of numbers (3.6.2) but on a freshly updated macOS Sierra and it causes the same crash of numbers and all connections to the NAS.

Therefore: It seems to be a problem with macOS Sierra and the AFP server of the current Synology DSM (6.0.2-8451 Update 1).

Is anyone experiencing the same issues? Does anyone have a suggestion for a workaround?

Thanks a lot.

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12)

Posted on Sep 23, 2016 1:16 AM

3 replies

Sep 23, 2016 9:38 AM in response to dwmreg64

You are absolutely right. I am connected via AFP...

I would love to change to SMB3, because thats Mac's default service now on. But due to the previous usage of AFP a lot of file and folder names are having chars in their names which are not allowed on SMB... This causes the names to be mangled when connecting through SMB. I could turn off mangled names in the smb.conf but I have no clue which other issues that could cause.

Whats about renaming these folders and files automatically (replacing invalid characters with substitutes)?!

Does anyone have a guideline how to change from AFP to SMB the best way? :-) Thanks!

macOS Sierra / Numbers 4.0: Problem with saving on a Synology via AFP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.