Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios10 home button wrongly disabling alarm

I jumped from an iPhone 4 (stuck on iOS7) to iPhone 7 (iOS 10) and find its alarm design is endangering my health.

I use the "alarm" function for reminders to take the pills that keep me alive. To ensure I never miss taking any I'm careful to only "snooze" the alarm as needed until I've obeyed its nagging and taken the life-saving pills. Of course sometimes I am not near my phone when the alarm chimes and before long the screen times out and goes black, so I have to turn it back on to see it and -- here's the danger -- turning on the phone (pressing the home button) shuts off the alarm! It doesn't wait for me to see the screen and pick snooze or stop and doesn't even auto-snooze it, it automatically shuts it off! If there is no way around this it is a fatal flaw.

It is important that it not be easy to accidentally shut off my pill alarms. It should not be possible to shut off the alarm accidentally even if I'm barely awake and stupidly fumbling the phone like a brain-impaired person (a side effect risk of some medicines) and unable to know what's going on until I turn the phone on to see it. I never had a problem when the phone required a swipe to shut off the alarm because that is a very different action than the automatic behavior to unlock & access the phone's screen.

How do I stop a press of the home button (the automatic reflex/brainless action to get into any iOS10 iPhone) from shutting off (rather than snooze) my life-saving alarms? (BTW, the accessibility option is *not* set to use a mere touch of the home button without pressing it -- that would even worse since I could easily do that by mistake when trying to pull the phone out of my pocket.)

Craig

iPhone 7, iOS 10

Posted on Sep 23, 2016 6:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2017 7:26 AM

I'm having the same issue. If I pick up my phone to snooze it and touch the home button, it's all over. My son is an hour late for school today because I didn't realize I shut off my alarm.

I'm hoping this is an issue Apple will fix. It seems like there are so many important things they could fix with all these updates we constantly have to take but their focus is not on that.

We really have some great emojis though, don't we? *however, can't seem to use them here :-(**

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2017 7:26 AM in response to macimby

I'm having the same issue. If I pick up my phone to snooze it and touch the home button, it's all over. My son is an hour late for school today because I didn't realize I shut off my alarm.

I'm hoping this is an issue Apple will fix. It seems like there are so many important things they could fix with all these updates we constantly have to take but their focus is not on that.

We really have some great emojis though, don't we? *however, can't seem to use them here :-(**

Sep 6, 2017 3:40 AM in response to macimby

I don't know WTH happened with iOS10. So many hugely annoying changes that make the device almost completely unusable. The change in the keyboard configuration and this alarm thing is making one of the last things I use my iPhone for is to go and shop for a Samsung. I'm so annoyed that I can't undo this update and I'm stuck with these horrible changes that I rely on in my daily life...like the alarm that I can accidentally disable as I'm half awake or that I can disable my alarm instead of snoozing it while I'm in another app. The quality of the user interface has seriously declined with this update. I am so so so sorry that I did this one update for the sake of being able to install a work related app. This update made my iPhone such a pain to use now.

Nov 7, 2017 10:23 PM in response to macimby

Totally agree. Apple needs to fix this ASAP. I depend on my phone as an alarm to go to work. I even set 2 alarm, just in case and in a week since I updated to iOS 10, I’ve been late for me twice and actually late for work once.

Screen goes to sleep, home button pressed to wake it up... alarm cancelled.

Please apple, fix this issue straight away.

ios10 home button wrongly disabling alarm

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.