Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't login to AIM in Messages with my @Mac.com address

For the past several months I have been unable to login to AIM using my @mac.com address in Messages on any of my Macs!

I get a password error.

I *am* still able to login using my @me.com. Unfortunately, the bulk of my AIM contacts are associated with my .Mac address.

I can still login to my Apple ID using my original @mac.com address, but the password associated with the Apple ID doesn't appear to work for AIM, and I can't reset the password on the AIM side.

Any ideas?

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12), 2011 15-inch 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7

Posted on Sep 23, 2016 9:35 AM

8 replies

Sep 25, 2016 12:46 PM in response to rcostain

Hi,

An @mac.com ID will work if...

it is used in iChat 6.2 or later (which includes on Messages versions)

At this later version of iChat the app started using a Login to Apple to confirm that "you" were logging into Apple.

Whilst there has been a 15+ year agreement (since the first iChat) that Apple IDs would be AIM Screen Name IDs they have worked.

However now they require this duel Login to provide "permission" for AIM to see the login details and confirm them.

This does tend to mean that the https://settings.aim.com/ page no longer works as it does not request the duel login details.

This is turn makes it difficult to get info from AIM if your account has been suspended.

Check this page ans the second item https://help.aol.com/articles/alert-notice-on-aol-account

User uploaded file

8:46 pm Sunday; September 25, 2016

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (El Capitan)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone and an iPad (2)

Sep 25, 2016 1:44 PM in response to rcostain

Hi,

I had quickly skimmed that and thought it led to a solution. (the previous help page they posted did)

I don't believe there is any help page for Apple IDs as AIM Screen Name Names suspensions. (it used to be with the single login you signed in on the AIM web site and could sort it from there).

I can only think that you have to get Apple to Intervene for you.

Call Apple Support (Apple Care) and say you have an Apple ID issue. (they are free to fix)

Level ones are script led and are probably not aware you can do this with an Apple ID.

Asks to speak to someone higher.

Explain that you use your Apple ID as an AIM valid Screen Name and that you think that the AIM side might have suspended the Name/Account and that dues to the current security checks that AIM have on the Apple ID check you cannot do it on the AIM site and can they sort it for you.

Remember the Level 2 may not even remember iChat (or even @mac.com IDs) and you will need patience to get him or her to the same point you are up to.

Unfortunately you cannot use an older Mac to reset this as the Apple/AIM duel login prevents those IDs being used in iChat 6 and earlier.

User uploaded file

9:44 pm Sunday; September 25, 2016

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (El Capitan)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone and an iPad (2)

Dec 12, 2016 10:12 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

I too am having this issue. Noticed a couple of weeks ago, Messages could not log into my @mac.co AIM account. I am not sure I am following your instructions.

When I go to reset the password at AOL is tells me the account was created or managed by another service and to contact them.

Maybe Apple is no longer supporting these old AIM screen names.

Any clarification would be great.

Thank,

Debbie

Dec 12, 2016 12:21 PM in response to singerdf

Hi,

If you are using an @mac.com (or @me.com linked to iCloud or in fact an @icloud.com) name as an AIM Screen Name it looks to Apple for the password.

IF like me you have an Apple ID for iMessages and use both an @me.com and @icloud.com variants for AIM Screen Names then the same password will be used for All three.

The App Logs in to Apple as well as AIM to "prove" that it is you trying to login.

As you are logged in to Apple for Messages this allows AIM to read the Apple Password.

In some cases some @mac.com IDs were registered after .Mac become MobileMe with the @me.com names on a pages that Apple listed as "iChat Names".

Apple and AIM have been doing this since about 2003 when the first iChat version came out as an AIM only client. (with the exception of Bonjour chat).

You will need to change the password at Apple and then manually change it in Messages whilst the account is not logged in.

User uploaded file

8:21 pm Monday; December 12, 2016

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Sierra)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone 6 iOS 10.x and an iPad (2)

Can't login to AIM in Messages with my @Mac.com address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.