Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blank Window after Sierra starts

After upgrading to Sierra tonight, a new problem has started appearing. Whenever I start (or restart) my computer, a blank window (titled "Window") appears. It cannot be minimized, but can be maximized or closed. Any thoughts on what could be causing this?User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12)

Posted on Sep 23, 2016 8:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2017 3:03 AM

This solved it for me:

Go to "Library/LaunchDaemons/" and delete the "com.VTechLLNService.plist" file.

It seems to be a remnant from some kid's software by https://www.vtech.de/. (I had installed their software in an earlier version of MacOS, and it seems it did not get deleted, when I uninstalled the app.)

10 replies

Jan 9, 2017 11:19 AM in response to rtrn2011

I also have this problem, i don't have drop box installed and i have removed all login items yet even from a cold boot, the window still appears. it doesn't seem to cause any problem other than being an irritation like an itch you can't scratch...

I have checked the force quit box and even when force closing anything open, the window remains. Sure, I can close it by clicking on the red x but it doesn't explain what is causing it and the lack of login items suggests its something other that standard boot items?

Jan 15, 2017 4:34 AM in response to GoCards6

I found out that a bad login extension was causing this issue. Normally you would disable it by the user options in system preferences but that didn't do the trick. You'll need an external cleaning app like CleanMyMac or CCcleaner to get rid of some pesky extensions that seem to be bugged. Anyway, when I removed all extensions that automatically start by using CleanMyMac it was sorted out and the blank window never appeared anymore.

Sep 23, 2016 9:52 PM in response to GoCards6

Let's take a look at what is starting up with the computer. Open system resources and select users and groups. Choose the login items tab and see if there's something starting with the computer. You can remove everything from that list if you want to - these are just programs that start when Sierra does.

If it's not a startup item, let's get a copy of Malwarebytes (Malwarebytes.org) and run the scan to see if this is a piece of adware or malware.

You can also start the computer up in safe boot (hold down the shift key when starting up) which will make the computer start with no third-party apps. If that solves the issues, you just need to disable the third party apps and add them back one by one until the issue re-occurs.

Blank Window after Sierra starts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.