You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

tvOS 18 is now available

Updates elevate cinematic experiences and make it even easier to manage the home. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hearing sound but no picture

When I go to AirPlay from my iPad to Apple TV I only hear sound but no pictures

AppleTV 2, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Sep 23, 2016 7:05 PM

7 replies

Sep 23, 2016 9:30 PM in response to bbelizaire

Here are your options:

1) Ensure you have downloaded all the software updates on the apple tv (if not, go to settings and manually click on software update)

2) Do the same thing for ipad (settings/general/software update)

3) If they are up to date and it is still not working do a power off / power on of both units and try again.

4) Unplug/Plug back the HDMI cable from both ends (Tv and apple tv) and try again.

5) if you have another ipad or iphone in the house, test it to see if you get the same results...if you got to #5 in here it means that most likely you have a hardware problem

Sep 24, 2016 8:00 AM in response to vazandrew

That is correct, only that bbelizaire's never used the word "app" in his/her question and it is also not incorrect (my "above" comment) to use alternative methods of troubleshoot outside the fact that he or she may be using a not supported app. She or he may not be using an app never mind of the app being supported or not supported app. Have you thought about that before throwing in comments to state they are "incorrect" ?

Hearing sound but no picture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.