Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Image Capture App Combining Files OS Sierra

Hi I'm experiencing some issue with the Image Capture App built into Apple OS since updating to Sierra. Prior to the update I would scan documents in the Document feeder of my MFP as a PDF file and select "Combine into single document option". sure enough I get one PDF with the scans in. I'd then scan another sent of documents and again I'd get another PDF with these in.

Since updating to OS Sierra and using the same settings the first PDF file is created fine, however when I go to scan the next set of documents yes it creates another PDF with these files in but it also adds the previous set of scanned files to the same doc. This then continues for every subsequent set of files scanned. The only way I have managed to prevent this is to either Exit the Image Capture App after every set of documents scanned or in the scan results window select the magnifying glass next to the scan to open the Image Capture Apps Temporary Doc folder and send all these files to the Trash. It's as if the app is no longer clearing out the Temp files between scans automatically.

Details: OSX El Capitan to OS Sierra. MFP in use Lexmark XC2132 Via USB 2.0 connection. Image Capture Ver 6.8

Mac mini, iOS 10, Mac Mini (Late 2012) i5 OS 10.12

Posted on Sep 24, 2016 5:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2016 11:02 PM

Hi Simon.B82!

I see that you're having an issue with scanning documents in the Image Capture app. I know it's important to have your apps working correctly, and I'm happy to help. To isolate this issue further, please create a new administrator account on the Mac. Test to see if the scanning issue is still present in the new user account. Here are instructions:

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Cheers!
8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2016 11:02 PM in response to Simon.B82

Hi Simon.B82!

I see that you're having an issue with scanning documents in the Image Capture app. I know it's important to have your apps working correctly, and I'm happy to help. To isolate this issue further, please create a new administrator account on the Mac. Test to see if the scanning issue is still present in the new user account. Here are instructions:

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Cheers!

Sep 25, 2016 7:30 PM in response to brenden dv

Hi Brenden,

I am reporting the same issue with my existing administrator account. When using Image Capture to append a second page to an existing PDF, it reports, "Scanning document 'filename' Page #2" but then fails to modify the original file or create a new file.

I followed your suggestion and created a new administrator account. The multiple-page scanning test was indeed successful under the new account. Does this mean that all existing macOS users will need to delete their existing accounts and create new ones in order to avoid this bug?

Thank you,

Chad Vice

Oct 16, 2016 12:12 PM in response to Simon.B82

This is a HUGE issue for me. I'm using an HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 with a document feeder. Previous to Siera, I could put a stack of documents in the document feeder and Image Capture 6.8 could compile all of the documents into a single .pdf file. Now it only captures the first page, although the documents all feed through. In addition to that, I now have to remove the previous scan file from the directory or any new scans appear to scan, but when I open up the file, it's the image of the previous scan. So with multiple pages, I have to scan 1 page at a time, remove the file from the directory before I scan the next page. Does anyone know of another scanning app that will work? This is PAINFUL!

Oct 29, 2016 11:09 AM in response to Simon.B82

short update, after further investigation:

Same user-profile, which has the issue.

After deleting "Library > Preferences > com.apple.ImageCapture.plist", then start "Image Capture" (IC) and tried a new scan with "Combine into ...". Result: it worked, but file was stored in "Pictures" (this folder is located in user-profile).

Selecting different folder, which is not located in user-profile, scan again => it is not working, only single page-PDF.

So my solution is now to select a folder, which is located in my user profile.

Question still is, why was this working before with the other folder?

Image Capture App Combining Files OS Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.