Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Compatible Film Format Ipod Nano 3rd Generation

I have been trying to load purchased films and home videos onto an old nano iPod 3rd generation (8gb) but so far all have been rejected and unable to play or even sync.

Could anybody kindly tell me which file formats play on the 3rd generation nano iPod, and whether I can purchase a low quality film from iTunes store that will actually play on the nano?

Thanks in advance I have been on this for days now.

iPod nano

Posted on Sep 24, 2016 4:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2016 12:12 AM

For home videos and other (manually-added) videos in your iTunes library that do not have DRM (copy protection), there's a command in the iTunes menu bar. Select video in iTunes and

File -> Convert -> Create iPod or iPhone Version

This adds a new version of the video to your Movies library that can sync to older iPods. Its screen resolution is low enough to play on the iPod. This command does not work for purchased videos from iTunes Store, because they have DRM that prevents conversion.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2016 12:12 AM in response to Davison4502

For home videos and other (manually-added) videos in your iTunes library that do not have DRM (copy protection), there's a command in the iTunes menu bar. Select video in iTunes and

File -> Convert -> Create iPod or iPhone Version

This adds a new version of the video to your Movies library that can sync to older iPods. Its screen resolution is low enough to play on the iPod. This command does not work for purchased videos from iTunes Store, because they have DRM that prevents conversion.

Sep 25, 2016 12:12 AM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Hello and thank you so much for your return much appreciated.

I did try to convert home videos however when I click on file / convert / I get two options 1) convert ID3 tags and 2) create AAC version.... both of these options are greyed out and I cannot select either of them.

I do not have any option to convert to iPod or iPhone....

Regarding purchased films from your response I understand that it is just not possible to Watch any films on the ipod nano 3rd generation as no way to convert due to copy protection?

Again thanks for your advice.

Sep 25, 2016 12:28 AM in response to Davison4502

To clarify, you need to first select the movie you want to convert in your iTunes Movies library (before going to the menu bar). With a movie (no DRM) selected on a list in iTunes, the convert command should be available. Here's how it looks with my iTunes library

User uploaded file

Regarding purchased films... not possible to Watch any films on the ipod nano 3rd generation as no way to convert due to copy protection?

The other reply you got from Niel has info about that... You cannot convert purchased videos due to DRM, but you may be able to download a version of video (with lower screen resolution) that can sync to and play on older iPods. Here's that link again

Sync high-quality SD videos to older generation iPods - Apple Support

Compatible Film Format Ipod Nano 3rd Generation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.