Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail Inbox opens on the oldest messages

After upgrading to Sierra, my Mac Mail Inbox opens with the slider showing the oldest messages, so I have to slide down manually to the most recent messages every time. No other Mail folder behaves like this, and none did before Sierra either. Anyone?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013), macOS Sierra (10.12)

Posted on Sep 25, 2016 6:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2016 5:38 AM

Thanks, Nick :-) I have now spoke to AppleCare, who promised to escalate the issue to senior level. I will give them a couple of weeks to deal with this before calling back.

But I have also found out how to handle the annoying problem until (if ever) the bug is updated. If you open Mail and find yourself in the opposite end (the top) of where you want to be (the bottom), just click the up arrow. That will take you to the second latest e-mail, and the window scrolls down automatically. OK, still one extra click, but far better than to have to grab the scrollbar and drag it.

43 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 9, 2016 5:38 AM in response to NickRich

Thanks, Nick :-) I have now spoke to AppleCare, who promised to escalate the issue to senior level. I will give them a couple of weeks to deal with this before calling back.

But I have also found out how to handle the annoying problem until (if ever) the bug is updated. If you open Mail and find yourself in the opposite end (the top) of where you want to be (the bottom), just click the up arrow. That will take you to the second latest e-mail, and the window scrolls down automatically. OK, still one extra click, but far better than to have to grab the scrollbar and drag it.

Nov 4, 2016 11:12 AM in response to peo björn

Full marks for persistency peo bjorn; I think you described the problem perfectly in the first place!

I have exactly the same issue and have only just found this thread, having been getting more and more annoyed with having to grab the scroll bar and drag it down every time I open Mail. A small thing, but very annoying!

This must be a bug - as you say it never happened before Sierra. Hopefully it will get fixed but I doubt it is a priority.

Jan 26, 2017 6:06 PM in response to wa4rts

I have the same issue.

The problem is that when mail is displaying a mailbox that is sorted by date, if there is no message selected, it always defaults to the first message in the mailbox, regardless of the setting 'Oldest Message on Top' or 'Newest Message on Top'.

The expected behaviour would be that, if no message is selected and the sorting is set 'Oldest Message on Top', it should default to the last message in the mailbox otherwise, if the sorting is set to 'Newest Message on Top', it should default to the first message in the mailbox.

To experience this, to clear the selection, you could type something in the search field until no message shows and then clear the search field.

It is a PITA and I am adding my vote to have this fixed.

Jan 30, 2017 5:00 PM in response to NickRich

This problem has also raised it’s ugly head for me, in the past week or so.

I got so fed up with it, I decided to try a few experiments.

My ‘Inbox’ has four email accounts, iCloud, Google, Yahoo, and Teksavvy, my internet provider.

If I select ‘Inbox’, quit Mail, and then open Mail, the scroll bar is at the top where my oldest messages are.

If I select iCloud, quit Mail, and then open Mail, the scroll bar is at the bottom where my newest messages are.

If I select Google, quit Mail, and then open Mail, the scroll bar is at the bottom where my newest messages are.

I don’t have enough messages in the Yahoo and Teksavvy accounts to have a scroll bar.

I repeat, this problem just showed up.

May 23, 2017 10:24 AM in response to peo björn

I just upgraded to Sierra and encountered this problem as well-- very annoying! I am accustomed to reading my new e-mail at the bottom of the list but the default view is always at the top of the list where all of my old messages are. I'm not sure anyone has mentioned this workaround on this thread: press option/down-arrow to get to the bottom of the list.

Dec 4, 2017 7:40 AM in response to peo björn

I have the same issue, as does my husband. It seems like it always, when i go to mail, opens in a random email-and it will open with this for many months, and one has to scroll to the top to see the new emails. It’s is frustrating and shouldn’t happen. Even when I highlight the latest email, it will reopen at this other email way down my list. Please fix this.

Sep 26, 2016 12:48 PM in response to peo björn

Hello peo björn,

Thanks for asking about mail after the upgrade of Sierra here in the Apple Support Communities. I'm happy to help change that sort option with it opening with the oldest messages.

With Mail open, and the word Mail up top next to the Apple, move to the right third option in from the word Mail, and click View > Sort By, then choose Date. You will have to do this one more time, but then select Newest Message on Top. If this is how it is selected currently, please change it to another option, and then change it back to these settings.

Thanks again for checking out the Apple Support Communities. Enjoy macOS Sierra!

Sep 26, 2016 1:51 PM in response to chris_g1

Thanks for you quick reply! But I'm afraid I did not state the problem clearly enough (had the feeling while writing but that was the best I could do in English). I'll make a new try: The problem is not sorting by date with the oldest message on top. The problem is that Mail opens the Inbox view with the scroll bar at the oldest, i.e. at the opposite end of my looong list of messages in my Inbox. So in order to see the new messages I have to manually scroll from the very top all the way to the bottom. Every single time I open Mail. So irritating. As I wrote, none of the other folders behaves like this, and neither did Inbox before I upgraded to Sierra.

Mail Inbox opens on the oldest messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.