Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Iphone 7 purchased from USA works in India?

hey I am from India. I want to know that if I purchase Iphone 7 from USA, then will it be Unlocked and will it work in India or not?..and if yes, then which carrier would be the best so that the Iphone 7 works easily in India?. Thanks

iPhone 7

Posted on Sep 25, 2016 12:27 PM

16 replies

Sep 25, 2016 12:37 PM in response to harsh140

If you purchase a device full price, it will be unlocked. While they may cover the same bands, if your Indian carrier does not have a carrier file that works with the iPhone, then it won't activate the right bands. I believe the only SIM free option right now is the T-Mobile device. Apple usually does not come out with a generic unlocked device for a month or so after releases.

Oct 7, 2016 2:37 PM in response to harsh140

Hey,

I also have the same Q. A friend of mine did get an iPhone 7 from the US and is using it in India. While there isn't anything that he had to do as of now, simply inserting the Indian sim and using the phone, however we dont know if the 4G LTE would work because its not yet available from the MSP in Ahm yet. It going to come out really soon though.

Fortunately / unfortunately, when my friend was getting his phone, he couldn't get it for me because the color I wanted wasn't available.

I have since enquired a lot of times (through friends, apple support, etc) and all have said the same, if you link with T-mobile you can use it in India, but they dont know if the LTE bands would be supported or not and eventually suggest to wait for the Sim-Free version.

I am in a dilemma whether or not to buy the phone just yet or wait until its available sim-free.

FYI, the iPhone is now available in India starting 7-Oct.

Oct 17, 2016 10:53 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Hey Chris. I have a similar query..

I bought an Iphone 7 A1660 full price from Best buy which they claim to be unlocked. However, I put my indian sim card in it and it said that the sim is not compatible. I then called Apple and they said that the phone was locked to AT&T. Luckily, I have an existing AT&T account and have requested them to unlock the phone. However, my request was denied as they said that the "IMEI number provided doesn't match a device that's currently on the AT&T network.".

Please suggest what should be my next step?

Thank you in advance.

Oct 17, 2016 11:41 AM in response to MC0609

Best Buy does not sell unlocked phones, only Apple sells unlocked devices in the US. The phone you received has a reseller policy of USA unlock only. Since you had not activated the device with AT&T, that is why it is not appearing in their records. Purchasing devices in a country outside of where you are going to use it is a bad idea. Compatibility issues, as well as warranty issues. The iPhone warranty is not international, and you can only get service in the US. Apple does not accept international shipments and you would have to bring the device back to the US for service. Not saving any money that way. As indicated earlier, not all bands may be supported in your location. I've read a post earlier today where Apple was able to get involved in the unlock because of this reseller policy. Sim free Iphone 7 I'm guessing that you have already gone past the 14 day return policy for Best Buy for returning the device. So, you are going to have to contact Apple support and see if they will help. But this should also serve as a lesson not to try and purchase a device outside of your country.

Oct 17, 2016 11:46 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thanks for your reply Chris!

I just had another question if you don't mind me asking..What if I put my AT&T sim card in this "unlocked" phone from best buy and then call AT&T to unlock it as I have paid it in full? Do you think that will work? I know I'm trying to go around things here but I'm kind of stuck with the phone.

Thanks again!

Oct 17, 2016 11:49 AM in response to MC0609

I cannot answer that, since I haven't really had to deal with this Reseller flex policy they seem to have regarding USA unlocks. That link I put in my previous reply explains some of it. It is possible that once you activate it with AT&T they could unlock it, but since it really shows being unlocked as far as USA is concerned, it may be you will need to do as the poster in the link I provided had to do, and that was to get Apple involved. Good luck, and next time purchase in your home country or directly from Apple.

Does Iphone 7 purchased from USA works in India?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.